electrical gremlins!!!!

510kevin

hey guys, i gotta problem (imagine that!)

my turn signals/gas gauge/temp and oil pressure gauges dont work.

could it be the voltage regulator under the dash? when i replace the fuse and start the car the 20amp fuse just blows.

the wiring and all known grounds are in good shape. everything works with a new fuse if the ignition is on. after i start the car, i lose it all. :angry:

ive searched til my eyes crossed, havent came up with a definate answer.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have it correct... with ignition on not running, everything fine. Start and fuse blows, no charge light, low oil pressure light, gas and temp gauges, turn signals, wiper and washer quit. All these things are on that fuse.

Seems like everything is fine until the engine starts to charge. All fine at 12 volts but at charge levels fuse blows. Try pulling the white plastic plug in the alternator and start. This will disable the charge. See if it still blows. If the fuse is fine maybe the regulator is bad.

If I have it correct... with ignition on not running, everything fine. Start and fuse blows, no charge light, low oil pressure light, gas and temp gauges, turn signals, wiper and washer quit. All these things are on that fuse.

Seems like everything is fine until the engine starts to charge. All fine at 12 volts but at charge levels fuse blows. Try pulling the white plastic plug in the alternator and start. This will disable the charge. See if it still blows. If the fuse is fine maybe the regulator is bad.

i just pulled the plug from the alternator, fired up the car and everything still worked. must be the voltage regulator. im gonna pull it out tomorrow, i might try to repair or clean it. if not, ill just order another and hope that fixes it!!

p.s. mike, im just gonna start pm'ing you when i have a problem and quit posting!! :D

p.s. mike, im just gonna start pm'ing you when i have a problem and quit posting!! :D

Only problem is that no one can read about the problem and hopefully the cure and apply it to their vehicle. Your post becomes history and stored info for all to access.

hey mike, i took the cluster out of my 510 today and dont see a voltage regulator at all.

its a 70 510,is there still a regulator for the gauges in 70?

the car has an externally regulated alternator with the regulator mounted in the stock location on the strut tower.

any ideas?

The alternaror regulator is entirely different, so don't worry about it for this problem.

Here's what happens: When the car is running the battery voltage at idle with all the accessories on can be very low, maybe even below 12 volts. When revved up the charge is about 14.3 volts. The gauges being electrical will read higher or lower because of the changing voltages. To correct this a small voltage regulator in included inside the gauge cluster and regulates the voltage for the gauges at about 8 volts. This 8 volts is easily maintained and keeps the gauges reading even at all times.

Offhand I don't know the location, but it should be on or in the cluster.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue with my goon. When I replace the fuse for the running lights/guages etc.. and turn on the lights...the fuse blows and only my headlights work.

When i replace the fuse without turning on the headlights, everything works. Signals,wipers,guages, etc etc....Could this regulator in the cluster be an issue as well?

There are some times where I replace the fuse and i can drive for a short distance with no problems but then it just reappears again.

I have not tried replacing the fuse and running the car at a higher idle though.

Thanks,

D