Long Tail 5-speed - $75 - WA

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

That's what kinda swayed me away from it. I was gonna meet up with him this weekend, but I figured I'd just wait. Who's to say where it's been sitting for the last 10-12 yrs, and why it was pulled.

I would get it home, and see if it works in all the gears. Put it in gear, turn the input shaft, and see if the output shaft turns. In each gear. It will probably turn easier in 4th gear, than any others.

If it seems good, clean it up, and drain any old oil out of it. if it has a slip yolk on the back, you might want to replace that seal. Replace the input shaft seal if it looks bad. (lots of oil in the bell housing). You cannot put oil in the transmission until the slip yolk is back in, the transmission has to be in the vehicle.

After the transmission is back in your vehicle, put oil in it. It would not be a bad idea to change the oil again, after the first trip if the old oil that was in the transmission was dirty, or just did not seem right.

My understanding is that you use the throwout bearing that came with the clutch you are using. You might need to get the slave cylinder that came with the transmission, and the throwout lever that came with the transmission, or you might be able to use the one you got in the vehicle.

You can get the driveline shortened fairly easily, if you need to. This is a common procedure done by hot rodders for years. I think a few on this forum have even done it themselves. In an ideal world, you would get the driveshaft rebalanced after modifying it. You could pull the driveshaft out and get it rebalenced later, but you will probably lose some tranny oil when you pull the driveshaft again.

You might have to change the spot where the shifter handle comes through the floor.

The five speed I put in my 521 did not have the neutral or third gear switches on it. I just did not hook those wires to any thing. Reverse switch is there, it is hooked up, and works fine.

You might need a different length speedometer cable. You might need a different speedometer pinion in the new transmission to make your speedometer read right, Your old speedometer pinion might fit, it might not.

If you get a ticket for speeding, and your speedmeter is off the correct way, if you get your speedometer checked at a shop that calibrates speedometers, taking that info to your court date might get your speeding ticked dismissed. I got lucky, and that did happen to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.