motor wont start

chris67

Just bought a 1964 320 with a 1600 cc motor in it the truck has been sitting for over 10 years. I put a battery in it and went to start it (after i check all the fluids) The starter try's a couple of times and then just clicks and then starts to smoke. Any idea guys?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be an ass, but apparently I'm pretty good at it. That said, you need to give a little more detail about the situation rather than make other people do all the work trying to figure out what you have and haven't tried, the overall condition of the wiring and engine, etc etc. You're the one with the truck in your possession, so YOU tell US what you're working with, rather than make us guess.

What smoked? Have you considered that the engine is probably seized, at least to the point where the starter can't overcome it?

wiring?

how do the wires look? maybe corrosion?

i would check your + and - from the battery. make sure you have a good ground.

and from experience check your points and condensor.... :rolleyes:

Thank you for responding with something for me to look and not a smart ass comment. I will figure it out.

The motor could be seized or close to seized. Cylinders could be rusty. The starter just can't turn it and over heats and smokes. Starters draw hundreds of amps and will get HOT!!!!!

See if you can turn the motor over by hand or put in gear and rock back and forth to loosen it up.

The motor could be seized or close to seized. Cylinders could be rusty. The starter just can't turn it and over heats and smokes. Starters draw hundreds of amps and will get HOT!!!!!

See if you can turn the motor over by hand or put in gear and rock back and forth to loosen it up.

Looks like your right its not completely seized becuse it will turn but its way harder then it should be :angry:

I don't mean to be an ass, but apparently I'm pretty good at it. That said, you need to give a little more detail about the situation rather than make other people do all the work trying to figure out what you have and haven't tried, the overall condition of the wiring and engine, etc etc. You're the one with the truck in your possession, so YOU tell US what you're working with, rather than make us guess.

What smoked? Have you considered that the engine is probably seized, at least to the point where the starter can't overcome it?

hey, at least you said you dont mean to be an ass...

i think it could have been a lot worse. i got some pretty good ass chewins the first few posts i put on. at least you pointed him in a good direction!! :thumbup: