under dash ac unit for 620

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind seeing pics either... what is an under dash A/C? Is it self-contained, or does it run off the engine?

Not a picture of Jukeizm's, but here is the one I have one in my 521. Which I guess is a pretty rare dealer add on option in a 521, but I'm no expert. They are aftermarket. I've seen a couple 620 ones on line, and they look a bit different than mine. And I've seen only one 620 one sell on e-bay in the last 6 monthes. Can't remember what it went for, a good penny, and I am not sure it was all there.

Mine is plastic and is form fitted to the underside of the dash and travels all the way across the cab. You will see they also add a nifty plate behind the cig lighter area. (No I didn't strap that radio under there!) They have a built in electric fan and run off of a big honkin compressor under the hood. You have an extra little radiator looking thing in front of your radiator too. My compressor isn't hooked up, and hasn't been for at least two prior owners, but the compressor does turn freely so I wonder if it works?

The fan in mine works so I get some extra airflow at the least!

Interior2.jpg

DashControls.jpg

You won't know if the compressor is good unless you engage the electric clutch. Otherwise it's just free-wheeling like the A/C was off.

The 620 system is run off the engine- requires a compressor, the piping, the TXV, the drier, the reciever, and the condesner. The evaporator is built into the underdash unit along with its own fan.

Fisch: I don't think I've seen pics of the inside of your car, but it looks good...

Alright, so I guess the A/C is essentially the same as in any other vehicle... sorry for the thread hijack, but does anyone know if it's possible to get some sort of stand-alone A/C unit for any vehicle, other than mounting a reefer on the cab, or a fan and tray of ice on the dash?

Fisch: I don't think I've seen pics of the inside of your car, but it looks good...

Thanks Fil! For a new england truck it is shockingly rust free. I just bought a an all metal 520 dash from Ted and Bonnie, so I can get rid of that nasty cracked vinyl one. And it is even red!

Dont throw out that old cracked up top!It can be made beautiful with a little work.Grind it down a bit,fill in the voids with expandable spray foam,sand down and wrap with vinyl!I wrapped the 520 dash in my 521 and it looks sweet.Why not a foam top?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.