turbo setup components

Braden

so i acquired 2 free turbos yesterday and one of them is salvageable and the rebuild kit os about 60 bucks. i was thinking of running some type of blow through turbo setup on my 620 since i have a fresh rebuild and i wanna do more to it. I can fabricate my own manifolds thats no problem but my question to you gusy is what all is needed to succesfully use and manage boost on your l20b. from what i can tell i need the turbo itself, intake mani, exhaust mani, some type of oil feed system, and some type of wastegate system. also i was curious as to how you run a vacumm line for your brake booster and how to run the oil feed lines. would my oil pump be sufficient to feed the turbo? i really dont wanna run an intercooler but what would you guys do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the deal with the box? im guessing the carb is in the box and the box is pressureized? i dont want a big gawky box in my engine bay, i was thinking osmehting more along the lines of a cartech style setup but for 2 mikuni44's instead of 3. also with the box style setup it seems they had alot of fuel pressure problems and that sounds like a headache!! somebody school me on wastegates and bov's please. i understand how the wastegate works inside the turbo and how you use it to controll booost psig but what i dont understand it what controlls the acutator.

whats the deal with the box? im guessing the carb is in the box and the box is pressureized? i dont want a big gawky box in my engine bay, i was thinking osmehting more along the lines of a cartech style setup but for 2 mikuni44's instead of 3. also with the box style setup it seems they had alot of fuel pressure problems and that sounds like a headache!! somebody school me on wastegates and bov's please. i understand how the wastegate works inside the turbo and how you use it to controll booost psig but what i dont understand it what controlls the acutator.

go read about l series turbo set ups on ozdat.

if you dont want the box then use one big su. from what i have read side drafts are a pain with a suck through turbo set up

Oil is likely fine but get a high volume oil pump from a RWD KA24E car or truck or KA24DE from a truck only.

Brakes will be fine there is a one way valve that will store enough vacuum in the booster. You won't be needing brakes at boost, and when you take your foot off the gas the boost drops anyway and vacuum returns..

fuel pressure has to rise for every pound of boost or it will lean out. The wastegate is oppened with pressure in the intake. when you let off the gas after coming out of boost the bov relives the pressure if you dont have one you will get compressor surge and thats not good for the turbo. they used the box to help keep from blowing seals out of the carb. you can do a suck through set up but you will need the right seal in the turbo.

disassembled both turbos, both exhaust housings are cracked, one exhaust turbine is missing, both shafts are screwed, and both center sections are screwed, so basically i can cut one of the turbos up and use it as a water impelller to generate electricity for a green project but other that that these bitches are scrap!