z24 help please

Rat720

Hey everybody,

I was wondering, other then a weber, what are some things i can do to pep up my z24? I dont want to do a header because i think it would effect my low end torque(correct me if im wrong), ive done 2 1/4 exhuast straight with a glasspack. are there any ignition upgrades i could do? would i notice a difference if I put performance coils? Any ideas would be Great!!!

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everybody,

I was wondering, other then a weber, what are some things i can do to pep up my z24? I dont want to do a header because i think it would effect my low end torque(correct me if im wrong), ive done 2 1/4 exhuast straight with a glasspack. are there any ignition upgrades i could do? would i notice a difference if I put performance coils? Any ideas would be Great!!!

Thanks

Far as I have heard as long as the exhaust is 2 1/4" or smaller the low end will be fine. I upgraded my coils and it helps a bit but the weber 32-36 seemed to wake it up quite a bit, now to get my header on and tune it all and I will have some fun. Main thing is to clean and upgrade your grounds to the motor and battery.

I have yet to see a dyno graph with stock vs. after market coils and or ignition systems. They seem like a lot of money for something shiny. Same with headers, although there may be some small gain at over 4,000 RPMs. (but not really worth the money or bother) If bigger carb, cam and head porting are also used then the gain is proportionally more.

A new 32/36 that is a direct replacement with all the emissions hoses and switches will work the best and give the least problems. Ones from e bay are often used, in need of rebuild, jetted wrong for your motor size, missing electric choke and idle cut solenoid, need an adapter plate and correct throttle cable hook up.

I wouldn't mind doing a weber, but I can't find one for a low enough price, and I definitely can't afford a new one. I'm trying to figure out some easy/quick ways to get a noticeable gain.

Check pull-a-parts. My old man found one that was just hangin out on an old D50 someone tossed it on. I'm sure you'll eventually find one on a junker in there somewhere.

Does anyone have a good set of jets worked up for the Z24 and the 32/36?

There isn't much in the way of performance upgrades for a naps z24 to begin with, and even less if you don't have much money to spend. I just finished tossing my new NAPS z24 in my wagon, and haven't had a chance to drive it much yet...here is a list of what I have done to mine, but most of these mods will cost money...

*86 Z24 engine rebuilt w/ mostly nissan parts,bored out to 2.5l w/ Wiseco forged over-sized pistons

*GMB high flow water pump

*Ported and polished head

*Mild cam(slightly longer duration and a little more lift, you can't go radical on a z24 or the valves will touch)

*Weber 32/36 downdraft kit from Redline(may need larger jets for this motor,seems lean)

*K&N filter into a cowl induction hood

*Ported spacer plates for the 32/36

*Ported intake manifold(can't port out much, coolant passages in the manifold)

*Removed EGR and all "emissions stuff" (yes, I am smog exempt where I live)

*Ported 4-2 pickup exhaust manifold and custom adapter plate and true dual exaust

*NGK FX premium sparkplug wires and NGK platinum sparkplugs

*Nissan electronic distributor

*2 Flamethrower 3 Ohm coils (I doubt they are any better than Nissan parts)

I don't know how much horsepower it has, it has not been tuned or put on a dyno yet. As you can see, most of the parts are ported or re-worked stock parts...these engines have limited potential. I think that this set up is going to be more than enough for me, if not, I may go with a VERY SMALL shot of nitrous or perhaps buy a centrifugal supercharger.

the main things you can do for a older engine with limited funds are to make sure it is running to its full stock potential...as in, make sure it doesn't need a tune up, timing, carburetor, or valve adjust, ect. Most tune up parts are reasonably priced, and tuning things right just takes a a few tools and some patience.

Here is my Z24, i'm putting it to out to pasture soon. I've had it for 4 yrs, it'll most likely go in a goon i wanna build up after my 4dr is all turbo'd out.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23932-i-think-its-time/

Good engine from junk yard resources very bullet proof, i just have to re adjust the rocker arms cause my cam is on the big side, after about 15 tries with crower we got the right one and i did have to notch the piston.... ;), i should re jet for the winter time and lean it out a tad but by then the car should be on blocks getting the new motor in so there's really no need. i'll miss the sounds of my 44's waiing but i've had it with carbs for awhile.