Bed removal?

RacnJsn95

I figured rather than try and repair all the little dents and dings in my 620 bed, it might not be a bad idea to just replace the bed... I found a PREEMO short bed in the local junkyard (no hood or fenders though :(). They said I could have it for $75 bucks. So, next weekend I'm going to go down there and get it... They said they'd lift it up with the fork lift or something, while I unbolt it.

So in preparation, what tools should I take? And what is the easiest way to go about removing the bed.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you will need a cordless sawzall and extra batteries. Maybe not. How lucky do you feel?

I just took my bed off this summer, I think you saw my botofuckit pictures. Seven of the bolts came right off. I mean they were stuck on, I needed to get a 3/4" extension and a breaker bar to get them started off. Some were still hard to turn, so I hosed some Liquid Wrench up on the threads above the nut. That worked great.

Of course, the last one was a total hassle. The little tab that keeps the bolts from spinning got bent and was kind of spinning and kind of catching sometimes for about two spins then slip again. I let the oil penetrate for a while and finally got a big vicegrip on the tab that would grab it. It took me about an hour all together.

I suppose I could have used an impact wrench but I was too lazy to drive down to my shop to get it.

A long time ago, I pulled the bed off of my 521 and had to cut all the bolts off and went through about $45 worth of the good Lennox sawzall blades. I remember that the impact that I used creamed the nuts and it was a nightmare. Not fun.