Xtant 600.1 smoke issue

DO NOT BUY THIS AMP UNLESS YOU HAVE A SHOP INSTALL IT! That way they can replace it.

IMAG0042.jpg

The good, woodgrain trim, small footprint, and the 400.4 works fine, it is the 600.1 you will have the issue with, and dont let any shop fool you it is a known issue at Xtant.

There is a bad part in them that will smoke you cab worse than Cheech and Chong! :angry:

Damn piece of :poop: smoked upon power up again! And the damned thing caught fire! I say F this, I am pulling the 400.4 out too and going back to my Soundstream 405. I F#$@#$ HATE XTANT! It is supposed to be the top of the line audiophile digital amp, it is garbage! DO NOT BUY!

Edit: see post 11, issue has been resolved! :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DING DING DINGWe Have A Winner! ;)

yea, but dont tell her, it will be a surprise. I sent an email to Dave, my electronics supplier, to foward to Xtant, here it is.

Please forward this to your Xtant people.

Gentlemen,

This makes the second time your product has smoked the cab of my truck. The only difference this time it took about 4-5 seconds longer to do it and it caused a fire! I was quick enough to stop it and put it out before it got out of hand, but I am not happy about it at all. I am pretty confident of my installation skills due to 20 odd years of experience, and Dave knows of my last 10-12 years of my work. I normally run Zapco or Soundstream product and I have installed more than a few of your older products and even some of your new MTX brand. Dave spoke highly of the quality of your audiophile products, he is the one that got me out of SPL and into SQ about a decade ago. I was really like the wood grain accents and the manageable footprint, the 400.1 performs fine, but this 600.1 is on my last nerve.

This has taken months to address, since June 10th, and quite frankly I am starting to get a bit concerned about any future investment into Xtant product. I would really appreciate a faster turn around this time and would like the amp to be bench tested under a load. Please hook it to a sub and not just power it up and stick it back in the box. I am using Zapco Ottomila components on the 400.4 that is working fine. It is the single 10” Image Dynamics ID Max was supposed to be feeding off the 600.1 and it has failed both times. I am using a comp Zapco for now and it is performing fine on the same connections. Please correct this issue quickly for I have two other shows to attend this month. Feel free to call my cell anytime at ###-###-####.

Regards,

Donald Oakes

Lets see what the response is....

I've really been outta the loop on car audio stuff for a while, but this shit shouldnt happen at all.. I've had amps give out but never catch fire, I hope they make it right cause if its a problem with their product then its going to be causing others even more trouble as very few people carry fire extinguishers.

Well here is the update. It looks like there was a goof, Dave gave me the wrong amp. The second amp I smoked was not mine, see what happens where you dont check the serial #! :o

I got a phone call from him yesterday morning after I had dropped it off at like 5:30am, He said sorry but that was someone elses amp, I was wondering about the different box...

<_<

I went back and got the other one, #'s matched go figure. And 5 min later, with fire extingisher in hand I powered it up with volume down... no smoke...turned amp gain up...still good...turn radio up...HOLY SHIT THAT THING IS LOUD!!! I have a 10" Image Dynamics ID-Max. This lil monster can run 1600 watts all day and the voice coil will not hit 100 degrees! so the 600.1 (@4ohms) kicked in and I am now very happy now. :D

• 2 weeks later...

So what was the deal on the amp that wasn't yours? was it completely different or the same?

Same model, it was supposed to be shipped out before it smoked due to the recall. All is good now, I have dialed them both up to 75% of power and it is loud for a system that is a set of mids and tweets and one 10" sub! :D