Transmission oil cooler

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, since its about my Toyota.

Do transmission oil coolers help performance on automatic cars that are pushed WOT a lot? I rarely exceed 3,000RPM on the street/traffic but I like to have fun sometimes.rolleyes.gif

My Toyota has an A340E automatic transmission, and the car has a few problems I'm trying to work out. So everything is a possibility, this is just another idea I thought of.

Mainly, I notice on very cold days/mornings(around 40-50 deg F) the car will perform great, throttle response is perfect, great acceleration, ect. Though when on a warmer day(75-90 degrees F) it will perform sluggishly, and not do so well off the line.

I'm wondering if this is the transmission fluid overheating, since the engine temp stays the same at all conditions.

If I push WOT past 4,500RPM it will have a bad burnt oil smell, but engine temp is fine. I have no transmission temp gauge.

Other problems are engine oil leak, power steering fluid leak(seal on left side steering join/axel?), oil leak in spark plug cavity(just clean it every few weeks...).

The engine is a l-6 7M-GE(same as auto MK3 supra), only mod is a air filter.

So question: is a trans oil cooler worth it to buy? They are pretty cheap on rockauto.

While my Datsun is not running I still like to drive, and and find it very annoying when things don't perform consistently.mellow.gif

Thanks for any comments... unsure.gif

Edit, Also the engine performs differently after prolonged idling(traffic, ect). Maybe related?

EDIT, W/e, I just ordered one I'll post when its installed and running.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmission in your Toyota should have 2 lines going to th radiator for cooling. Pull tour dipstick from the transmission and note the color of the fluid. Smell it also if the fluid is burnt it will be dark brown/black and have a burned smell.

If you live in a cold climent I would not put an after market cooler on it unless you are in a mountainous area or haul heavy loads regular with the truck.

If your radiator on your Toyota is cooling properly then you should not need a auxillary transmission cooler.

The point I am making is that on cold days the radiator temperature helps to maintain the proper operating temp of the transmission and also brings the temperature up to the proper operating temp quicker.

If the motor runs good which you say it doesn't after it warms up then I would say if is the motor not the transmission. :huh:

The biggest cause of auto failure is over heating. Period! The stock rad cooler is 'adequate only'. If you ever get the chance to cut an auto rad open you will find that the 'cooler' consists of a short length of copper pipe inside the bottom tank between the inlet and outlet lines. About 8" long... That's it! A cooler is just good insurance.

Never tow with an automatic, ever. If you do you must get a trans cooler. Change the fluid every fall minimum.

If you race, a cooler is good insurance. Allow time for the fluid to cool between races.

If the fluid smells or changes color, change the fluid immediately. Color change is from heat that will break down the fluids friction modifiers and this will cause excessive clutch and band wear. That dark stuff is clutch material that has worn off.

The smell is likely fumes from the motor. The tranny is sealed, smells don't get out. Poor performance in hotter weather is likely the motor.

Do transmission oil coolers help performance?

So question: is a trans oil cooler worth it to buy?

no. well, not for street perf.

yes. good insurance!!!

whens the last time you flushed(changed) the tranny fluid?

i tow infrequently and still like having the cooler for piece of mind.

ive noticed on my 4runner that when the plugs get ~35K-40K its time to replace em, performance has drops considerably & fast! especially in the heat