my new (continued) build thread

smelt240

I cant seem to move my old 411 stuff,so here it goes. I tore the whole front end off,took the panels to bare metal,and did the hood. (This is where I left off in the old thread) Now I have installed my Merecedes lights (300d chrome housed fog lights,and the yellow fogs off another model),and put the bumpers on.the factory was nice enough to provide some good mounting holes in the front bumper.

//411frontend001.jpg[/img]

//411frontend002.jpg[/img]

:cool:

I also primed the car-except the roof,I still have some dents to repair up there. I plan to get the roadster front springs in asap,and I have built some billet aluminum blocks for the rear,as soon as the front is done,Ill weld the blocks to their final thickness,and drop the rear to match. then comes the Fly Yellow paint,and black tinted windows.On another non-Datsun note,but somewhat related,I have picked up a 1967 Toyota Corona 4 door,1.9 automatic. It is amazing how closely the windows,and some other pieces resemble the Datsun.I got it for $250 all running,needs some minor rust repair,but i plan to fix it up,run it around a bit,and sell it,to fund more Datsun upgrades.

I will also have some engine compartment pics soon, Ive been pretty busy in there lately :cool:

my wireless connection is slow,so thats the only pics for now.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also,I forgot to mention,I painted the grille and headlight bezels satin black,sort of obvious,but like I said,I couldnt seem to move my old thread,so i figured Id start off fresh where Im at now. Im headed to my nephews birthday party in a few minutes,when i get home,its time for a couple pints of Newcastle,and then Ill pull the radiator,and the hoses for refinishing,polishing the orig copper lines,adding new silicone connector hoses,plus this will let me at the front of the block for a more thorough cleaning of the front cover.Ill try to get some more pics then. This winter the drivetrain comes out for a full treatment.Im thinking candy purple with a little metal flake for the block,with all of the aluminum polished up,and the motor bay Fly Yellow,to match the outside....this thing is too much fun....

For silicone hoses, the hoses from a Ford Crown Victoria Police car are the right diameter and with a little creative surgery can be made to fit. They are normally Green, but that goes well with my Blue RL411. A Ford dealer could probably special order them for you. I have installed a few lengths in my car to test them out. They hold up very well, someday [yes you have heard that before] I will complete the changeover.

• 6 months later...

Update fianally! I built myself a nice little 16x16 shop,pretty cozy in there,and just big enough for a Datsun,or my newly acquired WRX (I live in Maine,need something to kill on the salty roads) Anyway,Im going to be jumping back into the 411 very soon,get the lowered stance finished up,new exhaust,and then lay down the paint. Also,the guy I bought the car from just mailed me a like new factory brochure for the 67 Datsuns- Thanks,Jeff!!!! Pics soon,theres way too much snow to do anything right now.

Update fianally! I built myself a nice little 16x16 shop,pretty cozy in there,and just big enough for a Datsun,or my newly acquired WRX (I live in Maine,need something to kill on the salty roads) Anyway,Im going to be jumping back into the 411 very soon,get the lowered stance finished up,new exhaust,and then lay down the paint. Also,the guy I bought the car from just mailed me a like new factory brochure for the 67 Datsuns- Thanks,Jeff!!!! Pics soon,theres way too much snow to do anything right now.

The one trickiest part to replace in the exhaust system will be the downpipe from the 2 into 1 cast iron adapter that aims the exhaust toward the hole in the fender and the pre-muffler / resonator. Mine rotted out after 44 years, nothing lasts forever! The most likely rust out is in the horizontal part leading to the resonator. Warning, you can't just bend up inch and a half tubing and bolt it in. The inch and a half tubing is much thicker that the factory part and can't really be flared to fit the cast iron adapter. Also, the back of the vertical run is deformed into a "D" shape to lay against the fender and provide clearance for the left front tire in a left turn. A round pipe will rub the tire. The best fix I have found [and actually have on my 411] is to cut the horizontal run off, bend a replacement to duplicate the cut off portion and weld it to the vertical run. Works like a champ! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The one trickiest part to replace in the exhaust system will be the downpipe from the 2 into 1 cast iron adapter that aims the exhaust toward the hole in the fender and the pre-muffler / resonator. Mine rotted out after 44 years, nothing lasts forever! The most likely rust out is in the horizontal part leading to the resonator. Warning, you can't just bend up inch and a half tubing and bolt it in. The inch and a half tubing is much thicker that the factory part and can't really be flared to fit the cast iron adapter. Also, the back of the vertical run is deformed into a "D" shape to lay against the fender and provide clearance for the left front tire in a left turn. A round pipe will rub the tire. The best fix I have found [and actually have on my 411] is to cut the horizontal run off, bend a replacement to duplicate the cut off portion and weld it to the vertical run. Works like a champ! Good luck.

Lucky for me! -My manifold is in really good shape. Im going to add a full exhaust from there back,with some smoother bends,and maybe step up the diameter a little bit. It sounds really good as-is,but the old glasspack is getting rough looking,plus Id like to get a little higher RPM growl. Ill play around with some different mufflers,my buddy owns a scrapyard,so I can try most anything he gets in,if I dont like it,I just take it back.... We lost about a foot and a half of snow,with more rain coming this week! It will be out soon! Also,Fisch-You might be seeing this thing in person if we get the confidence to do our long-range cruise this summer.We will be down your way for part of it,maybe we could schedule a time to hook up,Id like to see your buggy. Ive racked up 1000 or so miles in it,without too many troubles,so we'll see!

• 9 months later...

OK,Im finally back to the 411! After a miserable time with the SR swapped 240sx,I sold it.Then I grabbed another WRX to beat around in. Anyway this winter has been pretty much snow-free,so I uncovered the 411, got it fired up,to realize I have lost my brakes. Not sure whats going on yet,I cant see any leaks. Perhaps the mouse who has been living beside my fuse box needed some fluid? He was getting behind on the rent-so I evicted him.Im pulling the car into the shop as soon as daylight hits. I got most of my lowering kit built,today I start pulling the front end apart. I have some ideas for a fan shroud,and a front lip. And Im going to cut out the rust in the quarters,and try to build new pieces. Its not that bad,but I want to catch it now. I can't decide if the rising sun hood is going to stay as-is,get redone,or just spray the whole thing yellow. Im also going to look for a bigger cam,I found some R16 tech bulletins with my 510 stuff,so now I have part numbers to go by. Ill start the pics again today,after it gets a bath,very depressing to see it that dirty under the cover....

I rebuilt my engine at 120,000 miles. The camshaft showed the beginning of wear so I replaced it and the lifters. The dealer looked up the camshaft part number, went to a cross referenced part and statused it. Out of stock, back ordered with no delivery date, so forget it! I asked him to run the part number on the original list, not the "better, preferred" in other words metric version. He did it, smiled, and said we could probably do something, 1100 units in the central warehouse. P.S. the bores had only 5 thousanths wear, that's why the dealer stocked only standard, non oversize, rings and pistons.

Lesson learned, people were getting the newer metric replacement parts and passing over the original SAE engine parts. If you are looking for engine parts, search for both the metric and SAE part numbers.

Good luck!