A15 into a 520

boxboy

I saw a B210 with an A15 and an automatic for cheap. They say it runs great and doesn't leak any fluid. I am considering it for a reserve motor for my 1968 520 pickup because I have heard that it is the simplest of swaps. Has anyone done this swap? Anyone know what might be involved? My J13 runs okay for now, but needs a new clutch and all new gaskets (leaks like crazy). It would be nice to have something in the barn for the day it kicks over.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it would require cutting out the old motor mounts and welding in the ones from the 210?

What about the tranny? Will it fit too? I am assuming my J13 4 speed wouldn't bolt up. But there are 5 speeds out there for the A15 correct?

I have always heard the L series is the motor swap of choice, but that it takes a lot of fabbing and cramming a bigger engine into a smaller space. Why is the A15 not an attractive option?

It will require welding skills and the materials. There are dogleg 5 speeds out there for it, but can be expensive unless your on top of the better deals(craigslist), sometimes you can find them in the "pick and pull" wrecking yards, but be sure to buy everything from the crank back to the driveline yoak at least. I do not know/remember what the 520 trans. mount looks like(probibly the same as early 521), I had to fabricate the one I did on my 320(A15-5spd.) I have to admit that that little truck moved with that A15 with dual su's. wayno

There are 5-speeds available for the A15. ONLY from a 210 though. GO FOR THE L20 IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT AND FIND ONE!! It's a way better engine that you'll be more satisfied with. ;) Not to say the A isn't a good engine, the L just has more parts available for it. Not to mention it has more power. I've been contemplating swapping my A for an L. Just don't have the money for it.

This car has an automatic, which wouldn't be terrible. I would prefer the 5 speed.

I really don't have the fabing skills. I would have to pay someone to drop it in. Perhaps I'll just hang tight. I am hoping to find a J15 somewhere from an old forklift or something of that nature. That would be the cleanest swap. Don't think there would be much fabing involved there. Plug and play.

I should add that at a stock 67 HP, I am not real concerned about HP. I am looking for parts availability and economy.

Take very good measurements on where every will be at. Make sure that u will have room for the radiator and Fan.

I have that problem right now with my L320. Swapped the 1200 for a J1300 and dont have room for radiator and fan.

Yeah, like I said, I don't have the skills to do this myself. I'd give someone the car if they could fab up the swap for me. I figure if you can get an A15 in a L320 you could easy have enough room in a L520. But I am rethinking having an automatic. I really would prefer a 5 spd. There is another 210 with a rebuilt 5 speed, but the owner doesn't know what the engine is. Its a '75, so I am assuming an a12 or 14.

Yeah, like I said, I don't have the skills to do this myself. I'd give someone the car if they could fab up the swap for me. I figure if you can get an A15 in a L320 you could easy have enough room in a L520. But I am rethinking having an automatic. I really would prefer a 5 spd. There is another 210 with a rebuilt 5 speed, but the owner doesn't know what the engine is. Its a '75, so I am assuming an a12 or 14.

most likely its an A14 if its 5 speed.

Its gonna be a pricey project if You let someone else do it for ya. Cause most of the work is Cutting and welding. And then the driveshaft might have to get either shorten or a bit longer depending if the tranny from an A series is the same lenght as the J-series tranny. most likely not. Thats why I say take very good measurements before hand, on where everything will lineup. Get the motor and tranny first then take it from there.