280ZX Struts with 300ZX NA rotors?

dennis

I have a pair of 280ZX struts that I am getting ready to start modifying for my 510. I have read somewhere that if you use 300ZX N/A hubs and rotors you can come close to stock offset for your rims. In my case I am using +25 on 15x7's. Any other info on this? I would really like to keep my current rims and or not run spacers.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it does bring them back to pretty much stock offset (sets them back inward .75 inches) so if you were running stock struts before and your wheels fit good...then with the 300z 4 lug hubs you can use the same rims... brakes are a different story. I don't have the info with me but if IRC, you can't use the 300z calipers due to the different mounting points. you need to make a bracket or like in the dime quarterly article, you can get the wilwood universal calipers and make the bracket for them instead. just some options.

I think guys posted this info in the strut mod thread I did. IIRC, the only option for calipers is to use wilwoods and custom bracket. I looked at options to do what your talking about and there wasn't any way to use the 300 caliper....I'm not sure if I tried with the 280zx caliper. Maybe I did.

I think guys posted this info in the strut mod thread I did. IIRC, the only option for calipers is to use wilwoods and custom bracket. I looked at options to do what your talking about and there wasn't any way to use the 300 caliper....I'm not sure if I tried with the 280zx caliper. Maybe I did.

Thanks Mike, I found the answer. No you cannot use 300ZX or 280ZX Calipers. Kind of defeats my purpose. I might just use the stock 510 struts and use 4 pot wilwoods.

I put a ton of info in the strut mod thread. The biggest advantage of going with the 280zx struts is the bigger axle and bearings....and they're more common so finding replacements is easier. Plus, you get the bigger vented rotor. If I were to put wilwoods on something, I'd at least upgrade to the 280zx stuff. Although, I ran stock brakes the whole time I drove my wgn 70mi/day and they did just fine :)

I put a ton of info in the strut mod thread. The biggest advantage of going with the 280zx struts is the bigger axle and bearings....and they're more common so finding replacements is easier. Plus, you get the bigger vented rotor. If I were to put wilwoods on something, I'd at least upgrade to the 280zx stuff. Although, I ran stock brakes the whole time I drove my wgn 70mi/day and they did just fine :)

I might just go the spacer route, not sure yet. I might even just buy some new rims.

you cannot just put the 300zx rotor on the 280zx strut to get back towards a stock 510 offset you must run the whole hub and rotor and its only one year the anniversary edition with the 4 lug they switched mid yearto 5 lug I believe... (Bleach would know) and then you can get caliper adapters to run a wilwood caliper (Troy Ermish sells the adapter) this is the set up I am running on my girlfriens 510

Clayton

Thanks Bears,

Do you know if you can still use the 280ZX calipers?

sorry for the delay in getting back to you...no you can't use the 280 calipers with the 300 hubs and rotors due to the diameter increase with the 300 rotors... If you are going to use the the 4 pot wilwoods..then make the brackets for those with the 300 rotors...bigger rotors, better calipers (not to mention lighter) basicly a win win as it will bring the mounting surface inward so you can use your original wheels... (provided they will clear the larger rotors and calipers...)

check mikes pages on the subject...LOTS of info there as well.

I'm scared. But every time I find this link I go there and read about the struts and it's getting better. What I saved years ago were a set of '84 Maxima Goon front struts. Research shows that the Maxima was basically a 280zx with a different body on it having most of the zx running gear and suspension. Being an '84 I wonder if it has 300zx struts or not. Can you tell?

710projectbegin029Large-1.jpg

It's beside my '74 710 strut. I'm hoping to use it or part of it on the 710. Also doesn't the 710 have the larger bearings already?