roadster 510 drive train question

murderwagon

So I bought a roadster 2000 chassis, no body but has the complete drive train. I mainly bought it for the l2.0 and the su carbs. I plan on putting the engine and carbs in my 70 510 wagon. what i was mainly wondering is if the motor will bolt up to my 280zx five speed that is already in the car. The motor is a bit older than the 1600 in my wagon, but its still an ohc motor. what flywheel will i need? and if anyone knows anything thing else that would be helpful i would greatly appreciate the wisdom. Also i was wondering if the 2000 roadster rear end is the same or compatible with the wagon thanks and have a great day

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I bought a roadster 2000 chassis, no body but has the complete drive train. I mainly bought it for the l2.0 and the su carbs. I plan on putting the engine and carbs in my 70 510 wagon. what i was mainly wondering is if the motor will bolt up to my 280zx five speed that is already in the car. The motor is a bit older than the 1600 in my wagon, but its still an ohc motor. what flywheel will i need? and if anyone knows anything thing else that would be helpful i would greatly appreciate the wisdom. Also i was wondering if the 2000 roadster rear end is the same or compatible with the wagon thanks and have a great day

Roadsters usually have the U 20 motor that looks somewhat like the L series. If it's a U 20 the starter will be on the driver's side of engine. If it does have the U 20 motor it will not bolt to a 280zx or any other L series transmission starters are on opposite sides.

If you have the complete drive line then with some (a lot of) work I suppose the motor and transmission could be swapped together into a 510. Drive shaft would need shortening for sure. Wiring for starter.

Thanks guys! One more question. Would i be better off with the roadster tranny than the zx tranny? I don't really know anything about the roadster trannys. My zx tranny has a bad reverse gear. So i am pretty much open to anything or am i better off finding a l20. because I'm having a hard time tracking one down in the new york area. Thanks again

Just my 2 cents:

Beware of dificulty in finding some U20 engine parts like timing components(guides) and performance parts. The parts are available (sometimes NOS) but cost may be more expensive than more readily available L-series stuff.

Good luck with your project!

Just my 2 cents:

Beware of dificulty in finding some U20 engine parts like timing components(guides) and performance parts. The parts are available (sometimes NOS) but cost may be more expensive than more readily available L-series stuff.

Good luck with your project!

thanks man. Didn't realize that.

Roadster parts are spendy I would put the engine up for sale and buy a l series. If you can't finde a l20 jujst slap a ka in

At this point i just wanna dump a l20 in it for the rest of this season. I have been collecting parts for a vg30 swap for this winter but i just wanna drive the bitch and my 1600 is ready for the yard. bad rod bearing head is all fucked up worst engine build ever. some dude in new york city built it and fucked it all up