Hood struts...aghhh

So when I weas doing body work I welded up my stock hood prop. Then I got fiberglass fenders and decided I wanted some long shocks on the side. I installed them and it looked ok but I had to cut a notch in the inner fender lips to accomodate the ball for one end of the shock. After a awhile the shocks gave out because of the angle and wieght and it would fall on my head so I took them out leaving the nasty notch. Then I got all stoked when I found the short honda trunk struts. I bought them for ten bucks and brought them home. Held them up, measured and drilled holes in the hinge and inner fender well of my car for then....bolted them up and well it didnt work. Drilled a new hole in my hinge and one more hole in my car (fuck!!!) and well it didnt work again!!!!!!!!! I quit.....fuck struts for your hood...my hood shouldnt be open if Im driving so whats the point right...its not a fin show car its a go car...I just cant get the mofos to work right and they are the the same length as the ones I read about doing this mod....wtf

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta be sure the length, stroke, and force are all up to the task. Besides that, the lack of strength in the hood along the sides and lack of rigidity from the hinge joint at the hood going forward along the hood don't lend themselves well to this mod. You can buckle your hood trying to close it against the force of gas struts holding the weight at the hinges. Kind of a ricer/fail mod if you ask me... :P If you still want to continue, there's info on the bluebird list...probably in the archives.