Z car badass-ery

Skib

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Gotta pay off a couple toys 1st and finish the truck. I keep seeing SOOOPER rusty ones around here lately too. The guy who sold me the last one has another one for sale real cheap (like $450 and been trying to sell it to me for almost a year) He says he cant get it to run right after putting on a set of weber downdrafts. It dies when a load is put on the motor. Most likely a timing issue I coulda figured out, but it has a lame-o aftermarket sunroof (:sick:), so I havent bought it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty dang cool. What's involved in making these big #'s? (never messed with Datsuns much other than some bolt-on stuff) SOS, big bore, big compression, and flowed head? My friend has one (72 240Z) he wants to be fast and it runs pretty good now, but he'd be willing to spend some cash to make it better. I've talked him out of a V8 conversion for now, but I'm thinking he'd like to make 300hp if that's attainable without making it into a hand grenade. I'd be pretty happy if I could just make it streetable with the 45DCOE's it has on it now. It's geared crazy low in the diff making it suitable only for in town driving which I think stinks, but it's not my car. I'm sure that's largely why it accelerates so well now. But how big can these motors be built safely, 3.0? Is it worth trying to find a 2.8L motor and building it up or would that relatively small increase in displacement not justify the expense? Where's the biggest bang-for-buck when it comes to adding horsepower?

Thanks

Pretty dang cool. What's involved in making these big #'s? (never messed with Datsuns much other than some bolt-on stuff) SOS, big bore, big compression, and flowed head? My friend has one (72 240Z) he wants to be fast and it runs pretty good now, but he'd be willing to spend some cash to make it better. I've talked him out of a V8 conversion for now, but I'm thinking he'd like to make 300hp if that's attainable without making it into a hand grenade. I'd be pretty happy if I could just make it streetable with the 45DCOE's it has on it now. It's geared crazy low in the diff making it suitable only for in town driving which I think stinks, but it's not my car. I'm sure that's largely why it accelerates so well now. But how big can these motors be built safely, 3.0? Is it worth trying to find a 2.8L motor and building it up or would that relatively small increase in displacement not justify the expense? Where's the biggest bang-for-buck when it comes to adding horsepower?

Thanks

theres a whole thread on HBZ about it actually, were not %100 sure

you can make 3.1 strokers from L28's all day long. need some 89mm pistons, 9mm L24 rods and a L28de "V07" crank.

the best bang for buck with L28's is getting and L28et and building up the turbo set up tho.

What do you think of this Skib. He claims over 600rwhp, from a le28et. Looks like a beast for sure.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/1870756667.html

Iv seen that car before....

it looks like it will deff be putting down some power but its still a 2.8L,

the one guy I know of that has hit 600 with his L6et is running a custom built one off DOHC head and all this other crazy shit

his 600+ is just a guess tho, that things still in pieces, hasent been raced, and without a dyno sheet.

Id have to make the educated guess of ~400hp without the N02 if its all he says it is, but 600 is an over shot

but a sick motor non the less