Transmission front countershaft bearing

I'm trying to overhaul my transmission, and the front countershaft bearing is very, very stuck on. It says in the manual to use a two-legged puller to remove it, which I'm trying but its bending before the bearing moves. I searched the forum and didnt really find any information. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to remove it?

I tried heating it with a heat gun, but nothing happened. Maybe I have to leave it longer?

Was also recommended to spray lots and lots of WD-40 on it, have not tried yet.

Thanks... unsure.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to overhaul my transmission, and the front countershaft bearing is very, very stuck on. It says in the manual to use a two-legged puller to remove it, which I'm trying but its bending before the bearing moves. I searched the forum and didnt really find any information. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to remove it?

I tried heating it with a heat gun, but nothing happened. Maybe I have to leave it longer?

Was also recommended to spray lots and lots of WD-40 on it, have not tried yet.

Thanks... unsure.gif

if it feels like its stuck i would almost rather pay a tranny shop 20 bucks to take it out, saves you some headache.

if it feels like its stuck i would almost rather pay a tranny shop 20 bucks to take it out, saves you some headache.

Well, if there is any way to do it myself then I will, since i'de like the experience of having overhauled a transmission.

The puller is bending before the bearing moves.

Spend the $20 on a bigger puller. A good puller will break before it will bend. A heat gun will never get it hot enough to loosen it. For that you need orange/red hot. Don't ever do that on a tranny! :lol: Only on exhaust studs.

The new one is driven on with a hammer and block of wood or piece of brass.

Spend the $20 on a bigger puller. A good puller will break before it will bend. A heat gun will never get it hot enough to loosen it. For that you need orange/red hot. Don't ever do that on a tranny! :lol: Only on exhaust studs.

The new one is driven on with a hammer and block of wood or piece of brass.

I originally went and spent $30 on a puller, only to find it didn't fit on the bearing(bumping the gear). So basically just lots and lots of force? Whatever, I'm going to try to find a better puller online.

If you're not reusing the bearing, you can cut/score it with a cutoff wheel and take the bearing off in pieces. That's how I had to get the axle bearings off my 510 axles.

Are you sure there's no C-clip still holding it?

If you're not reusing the bearing, you can cut/score it with a cutoff wheel and take the bearing off in pieces. That's how I had to get the axle bearings off my 510 axles.

Are you sure there's no C-clip still holding it?

I don't seem to have a cutoff wheel... And I'm completely sure there are no clips holding it.