engine tranny update

lancekilgore

So I got sacked recently and decided to intall the new engine and 5 speed tranny in the 78 since i have nothing but time. all went fine little problems here and there. got the header installed ok. then had carb problems fixed that by putting the old webber on. ok so I take it for a test run and whoa can't slow her down the difference between the old engine and 4 speed tanny was night and day, But first gear sincros are gone and she jumps out but I can live with that for now. then a coolant leak can't tell if its from the head or intake manifold so I'll let her cool the remove the intake and exhaust to see what the problem is, I hope its the intake and not the head.

At least I stil have the old engine to fall back on ifd needed.

Lance

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what happens sometimes is the aftermarket header the spaecers might not be correct when the mate with the intake. The Nissan washers should be flush so they apply even pressure with the intake and exhause flange at the same time.

Some headers the flange thickness is not the same as the intake,so they weld like a spacer on there or there was a special washer with the header which is now lost.

If loose it can suck up water(loook like a blow head gasket) or drip water from the intake side.

Yea I hear you, so I took the intake and exhaust off and there was water in the passage of the head. So I jerked the head off and ran it down to the machine shop and they think it's the intake as well so tommorrow I will take the header and intake to the shop to check them out. they said it was common for a intake to warp, I have never seen a intake warp in my 30 years only exhaust. Any way so I checked the intake and it was fine so I will see what kind of spacers they have so I can make sure they have the same thickness.

That was really aggrivating now I need another head gasket set and such. But life goes on. If I did not have the other engine (still running and all) (rebiult 6000 miles ago) I probably would have seriously gotten rid of the old datsun.

So if I don't have even space from the header and intake are there any reccomendations to a solution?

Thanks Felt good to grip alittle bit

Lance

Well I actually have both as extras on the gaskets. I bought two sets long ago one from rock auto and one from ebay so they should work.

Good news checked the thickness like banzai510 said and the headers tabs were thicker than the intake manifold, thus causing the problem. so the machine shop still wanted to check the intake and they said they would grind down the header to match the intake. and all for 20.00 dollars, how lucky is that. So I wait untill tommorow and then back to work

I bought those thick washers for the intake/exhaust manifolds from Nissan NOS about 4 months ago when I swapped my L16 in the wagon for the L20b. They where a couple of bucks each I think. Seemed to be easier and cheaper than grinding on stuff. The head gasket I bought a couple of months ago for the L20b was around $10 from Rockauto, Felpro, it's held up well as has the intake/exhaust gasket too.

Good info, thanks. I just want to get her back on the road and hope the 5 speed last a while even if the sincros in first gear is gone. just hold or pushit hard untill I shift till second. I use a synthetic gear oil thinking that was better would that cause harm?

Lance