Looking for pics of stock 521 L-16 engine bay

sdsurf

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took some pictures of my 521 engine bay today, But my camera is old school, has film in it. I took the film in for processing this morning, expect it back on Thursday. I took pictures of the sides of the engine compartment, with the battery and the air cleaner snout out of the way

Ok, I am going to try to post some pictures of the sides of the engine compartment on my 521. Some of it is not stock.

EngineCompLeftSide.jpg

This is the left side. The corner of the box you see on the left side of the picture is a capacitive discharge ignition kit, bought at Radio shack, in the late 1970's Notice the just cleaned and now working washer bag. Below the coil in the ballast resistor, the relay above the coil is the E-1 relay, that switches the retarded set of points into the circuit, a pollution control device.

EngineCompRtSide1.jpg

This is the right side, looking slightly forward. The horn relay in in front, the headlight relay is in the middle. I did not take the time to figure out that the third relay in this picture did. The non stock little blue relay controls the high beam lights for the outer two headlights only.

EngineCompRtSide4.jpg

This is the right side of the engine compartment, looking to the rear. This truck has an ammeter installed, and the fuse box was also redone. I have not decided if I want to leave the ammeter in the truck, or replace it with a voltmeter.

I am sorry, this is not quite the stock condition truck pictures you were looking for, but I hope they can be of some help to you.

• 1 month later...

The first two pictures show vacuum motors on the air filter housing horn. later 1971, or 1972 trucks? I Have three 521's, two 1970, and one 1971. The 1971 truck had an evaporative emission control system on it. None of my three trucks had the vacuum motor on the air cleaner.

PCD's picture also has the vacuum motor.

PCD, nice looking engine bay.

What is the serial number of your truck, PCD?

SDSurf, what is the serial number of your truck?

I have the serial numbers for my trucks, but the power is off here, and I an doing this on my laptop.

Update.

PL 521 207797, 1970. This truck had round reflectors, no marker lights. The engine bay harness has connections for fog lights, but the truck does not have a fog light switch option. I got this truck used, it did not have the original engine. The front fenders have a rounder contour on the lower front than my other two 521's

PL 521 371684, 1970. This truck has side marker lights. Just a normal truck, but it now has a five speed., and a L-18 engine in it.

PL 521 394191. 1971 This truck has an evaporitive emission system on it.

Ok hear goes... Hope I can explain this.

On the cluster that goes to the coil and dist there are 5 wires. One wire goes to neg coil. On wire goes to right of resistor. 2 wires go to coil. WHere does the 5th go?

On the cluster that goes to the left side of the resistor there are 3 wires. 1 goes to the resistor. Where do the other two go?

Mike

What are the wire colors by the coil, you need help with?

Briefly, when the ignition key is in the run position, power goes through the ballast resistor, and then to the + side of the coil. The - side of the coil goes to the advanced set of points. There is a second wire on the - side of the coil that goes to a relay, that connects the retarded set of points to the coil under some limited operating conditions. The advanced set of points stays in the circuit even when the relay is on.

There are two seperate wires that comes from the ignition switch, that has power only in the start position. One of these wires goes to the starter solenoid. The other wire goes to the + side of the coil, so the coil gets full battery voltage when you are trying to start the engine.

Get me the wire colors, and I will spend a little time with a magnaifying glass, the schematic I have, and maybe even looking at my truck, to confirm wire colors. Hopefully the two trucks were made when they were using the same color coded wires.

Here is the colors I found on the coil, and ballast resistor of my truck, anfd it even agrees with my wiring diagram.

The end of the ballast resistor closest to the cab has one wire, black with a white stripe. This wire goes back to the fuse box, and is hot with the key in the run, and start position.

The front end of the ballast resistor has one wire, black with a red stripe. This wire loops up to the + terminal on the coil.

The + terminal on the coil has another black wire with a red stripe on it, this wire goes back to the ignition switch. This wire is hot only when the key is in the start position.

The - terminal on the coil has two wires on it. One wire is black with yellow, the other wire is blue with white. The black with yellow wire goes to the advanced set of points on the distributer. The blue with white goes to the E-1 relay, and the relay sometimes causes the distributer to run on the retarded set of points.

Here is the colors I found on the coil, and ballast resistor of my truck, anfd it even agrees with my wiring diagram.

The end of the ballast resistor closest to the cab has one wire, black with a white stripe. This wire goes back to the fuse box, and is hot with the key in the run, and start position.

The front end of the ballast resistor has one wire, black with a red stripe. This wire loops up to the + terminal on the coil.

The + terminal on the coil has another black wire with a red stripe on it, this wire goes back to the ignition switch. This wire is hot only when the key is in the start position.

The - terminal on the coil has two wires on it. One wire is black with yellow, the other wire is blue with white. The black with yellow wire goes to the advanced set of points on the distributer. The blue with white goes to the E-1 relay, and the relay sometimes causes the distributer to run on the retarded set of points.

The group of wires on the cab side of the resistor has i wire to the resistor (black with white stripe) and one black wire and one blue wire with a red stripe.

The group going to the coil - black with red stripe to front resistor, black with yellow to - coil, then a long tail with black with yellow stripe, blue with white stripe and an insullated yellow (white?).

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj237/sdsurf3573/IMG_00391.jpg

cab side resistor grouping

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj237/sdsurf3573/IMG_00401.jpg

coil side overview

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj237/sdsurf3573/IMG_00411.jpg

coil long tail close up

First picture, 391, Blue with red marker, black wire, bullet terminal ends.

These two wires go to a solenoid on the side of a stock carb. The solenoid is only used in third gear, throttle closed, clutch pedal not depressed. This is a pollution control feature.

Second picture, 401, Black with yellow marker, .250 female spade connector. This wire goes to the advanced set of points in the distributer. Blue with Yellow wire, .312 female spade connector. This wire goes to the retarded set of points. Yellow wire, with a white marker, female bullet connector. this wire goes to the temp sender, on the bottom half of the thermostat housing.

Third picture, 411, looks like the same wires as picture 401, with an extension cord on the ground.

First picture, 391, Blue with red marker, black wire, bullet terminal ends.

These two wires go to a solenoid on the side of a stock carb. The solenoid is only used in third gear, throttle closed, clutch pedal not depressed. This is a pollution control feature.

Second picture, 401, Black with yellow marker, .250 female spade connector. This wire goes to the advanced set of points in the distributer. Blue with Yellow wire, .312 female spade connector. This wire goes to the retarded set of points. Yellow wire, with a white marker, female bullet connector. this wire goes to the temp sender, on the bottom half of the thermostat housing.

Third picture, 411, looks like the same wires as picture 401, with an extension cord on the ground.

Awesome!!! Thanks