'77 Datsun 810 Floor Temp light question...

I know a guy with an 810 wagon. I'm thinking about picking it up, but it's got an intermittent cutoff/no start problem that $600 and several mechanics have not been able to solve.

My thought was just stick some 240Z carbs on it.

But I was looking at someone's Car Domain pics and I saw that there is a "floor temp" warning light on the dash. I assume that's to warn the driver of an overheated catalytic converter.

So does anyone know if that's just an idiot light, or if it also has something like maybe a fuel pump cutoff to keep the an overheated cat from turning a small fire into an inferno?

I could see that sensor going bad and manifesting as an intermittent no-start or break down. And I can see no mechanic in the state of Kentucky being able to figure that one out.

Thanks for any insight!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel pump on an 810 is surely not mechanical. It's fuel injected.

If I buy the car, I will certainly buy a shop manual. I actually looked for a .pdf of the service manual before I posted.

I just thought someone here might know.

• 3 weeks later...

The light and sensor aren't connected to anything else. Have nothing to do with the running issue.

indeed, there are innumeritous problems with the EFI system. mine is currently removed and living in a landfill where it belongs. my colleague and i both being eighttenners discovered that the ONLY answer is to trash the EFI and go to carbs. the 810 is a rare animal expressly for the reason you can get a good price on it. once you go SU or Solex or WEBBY you'll be impressed with the "poorman's skyline" performance.

cheers