Busted driveshaft bushing. Woohoo!

So, I'm just going to be honest and straight up - I've never really worked on a car before, until yesterday. Sure, I've watched my dad work on them since I was old enough to hold a flashlight, but I've never done work by myself without supervision. Well, I've now replaced a half shaft, alternator, head gasket, thermostat housing, plugs with new wires, distributor cap with ignition rotor, front bumper, and installed a new interior, all in one day. Well, we were using my truck to haul all these shiny new pieces and when we were pulling up to his house again there was this terrible sound and bumping coming from up under my truck. We jacked it up and found a bunch of plastic/rubber down the street. We finally discovered that was my driveshaft bushing. So, now I have even more work to do..yay. Any tips on replacing the bushing? I've already got a good idea as to what I have to do, I just want to make sure there aren't any hidden secrets to this.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual carrier bearing rarely fails, though I have heard of lots of people replacing them. Usually what goes bad is the rubber insulator that supports the outer side of the bearing to the frame.

620dsisolator001Large.jpg

620dsisolator002Large.jpg

If this is the case, trim away all the old rubber and the outer metal ring. I used a piece of 1/4" conveyor belt trimmed to about an inch and a half to two inches wide and long enough to coil around the bearing until it would just fit snugly inside the U shaped strap that bolts it down. The strip cannot be foam rubber, it has to be much more solid like tire rubber. You could wrap it with stove pipe wire or a large gear clamp to help hold it until tightened down. It must be very snug when finished or it will shake apart. I did this as a temporary fix but it worked so well I left it. Cost $0.000, no vibration and clunking........ priceless.

I used a couple strips of serpentine belt and zip tied them on the bottom of the bearin, (zip tied to the bearing brace)... That lasted about 20k so far, on my 77 I end up buying a new bearing from autozone. it is still available until they run out completely.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dea-Driveshaft-Center-Support/1977-Nissan-Datsun-620/_/N-indtxZ6o20v?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=center+&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=714417_8915_0_

Just get a stock 510 wagon driveline. It bolts right in, then you never have to worry about the carrier bearing again. I used one on my 75 620 with a 4 speed. worked like a charm. Oops I just saw you have a 720 , but its woth a shot.