rear defroster

datsunfish

I tried the search but came up with problems as usual.Was there a stock rear defroster?Is it where the cutout is on the stock rear panel behind the back seat?Or was it electric?

My idea is to plumb some tubes from the front defrost ducts and shroud them out of a custom rear panel.I know I can do it but would like some info on stock stuff.

Thanks all.:)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I dont want to rob too much pressure from the front and the back wouldnt need as much,since I wont be breathing directly at it.

So I figure 2 1/2" tubes along each side of the tranny tunnel where wires already run.Figuring that I would use 1/2" carpet padding anyways and a vinyl flexible hose wont be too obvious and will hold up to abuse.

I might be able to mount small fans in the back but would need some sort of heat source.I am not hacking up the stock panel and have already cut out new ones.I am going to mount a lifted panel for speakers.I will not hack up anything on this car.Way too stock.

Is there any reason why nobody buys the after market defrosters?

I've been looking at some where you stick it to the back window, you know, those lines that heat up when electricity is applied. And they aren't that expensive.

Do you guys not use them because of aesthetics?

To my knowledge, only the 73 510 came with the rear defroster in the US... Supposedly they had them in Canada though before 73... Maybe other places too.

It was electric.

Where would you run your tubes? I imagine they would be ahrd to hide?

510 cars and wagons had rear electric defrost as an option in Canada. My '70 Dart had a rear fan that blew room air on the rear window.

i cant remember where i saw it but some one had a small fan that mounted in the back dash and blew air at the back window of there dime to defrost it. it looked like it was stock. it was sweet. i have found that if i open the vents in the dash for a little bit ( and point them up and a way from me) it defrosts the back window ok. plus if you keep your windows clean they do not fog up as bad:)

Yeah,aftermarket is butt ugly.I suppose I could ditch the tube idea as long as I can push cab air and not outside air or trunk fumes.I can get alot of small 12v fans from electrical components like power converters.Anybody know what the cutout is for on a stock panel?

i cant remember where i saw it but some one had a small fan that mounted in the back dash and blew air at the back window of there dime to defrost it. it looked like it was stock. it was sweet. i have found that if i open the vents in the dash for a little bit ( and point them up and a way from me) it defrosts the back window ok. plus if you keep your windows clean they do not fog up as bad:)

Is this the fan you speak of ? I got this from a friend who had it in his FJ powered 510 many years ago. He said it was mounted in the rear hat tray. I really do not see how it fit without modification however. Unless it was for a real early car or a overseas model ?

2914441040102419670S600x600Q85.jpg