race cams for an L20b

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to need different valve springs, the stock ones will bind at lifts above .450? Someone help me out here?

Generally as a rule of thumb an increase of 10 degrees of duration moves the peak hp and torque up the range by 500 RPMs. Since your stock cam has a duration of 248, going to 320 is an increase of 72 degrees. What this means is is your L16 makes it's peak hp at say 4500 RPMs it will now make power at 3,600 RPMs higher. That's 8,100 RPMs. No one runs this much cam on the street, no one.

Rule # 1 Never over cam your engine

Rule # 2 Never over carb your engine

mike i am running isky 490 lift with stock springs, i asked isky about this and they said the only mod i needed was the thicker lash pads to correct for the new geometry, i have had zero problems yet and my engine rarely sees aything less than 3-4k rpms. maybe anything above 500 lift? i know the next cam isky lists for the l20b you do have to have different springs, mine is the stage 3, and the next 3 are flat out racing cams.

• 2 years later...

mike i am running isky 490 lift with stock springs, i asked isky about this and they said the only mod i needed was the thicker lash pads to correct for the new geometry, i have had zero problems yet and my engine rarely sees aything less than 3-4k rpms. maybe anything above 500 lift? i know the next cam isky lists for the l20b you do have to have different springs, mine is the stage 3, and the next 3 are flat out racing cams.

where did u get ur cam...im looking for a cam for my l20b....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.