CAMSHAFT WOES

Braden

hey fellas i am getting to the point in my project when i need to order a camshaft, i am probbaly going to order one from webcamshafts, i want to get a mild cam and not too hot for a streetable truck. my question is do any of you have some resources for directions on installing a camshaft into an l20b? maybe a how to guide? i just want to make sure i get everything in order and lined up and torqued properly. I do have a mechanical background and i have rebuilt some 125cc kawasaki race engines but i have never been far into an l20b, the bottom end doesnt scare me its just getting everything in the top end set up correctly. i have plenty of tools and can buy any special tools i need. also some of you have put hotter cams into your engines before how hot was your cam and how did you like it?? i am open to all suggestions on cam profiles, i want something that can utilize the mikuni 44mm carbs i am running. also i will be running an open chamber head for the time being.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ghetto

text me you full name and adress and Ill send you my DVD which has a basic description on how to ink your rockers and figure the lash pad sizes.

remember you should buy new rockers or get them resurfaced(I havent found a place yet myself that I trust) But I dont care as a I have 4 new sets in storage.

I myself would get the 488/252 webacamshfts. set to cam spocket 2.

or the Isky 475/275lift and I think they have a 480/280 lift also (ck their website)

heres my cell phone

253 653 3690 txt me info so I can get this pakaged and sent to you.

Remeber Im not a mechanic!!!!!!! but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once

Be honest I dont know. they are so close together

I dont have a 488/252 installed

I have a 475/275 installed and it seem ok but its a a L16.

remember these are 1960s technology motors. Youll spend 4 times the money to get 25% more HP.

I like the ease of working on L motors w/o being a electrical genius. But the trick is getting a good working pair of sidedrafts and I prefer Mikinis as I ahave the jets and the numbering sytem is EZer to understand.

Go here and download the factory service manual if you don't already have it.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

Like Banzai stated, the L series are super easy.

As far as cams go, call the guys up and grill em. They're knowledgeable about it. And set realistic goals about what you want. None of that "I want a 3/4 race cam, dual 44 mikunis and 35 mpg" shit. It ain't gonna happen. Always remember, you give up something by re-caming an engine. Web is the ones that reground the cam in my truck way back when and the guys asked what my uncle was doing with the truck and what he wanted out of it. They made the cam from there.

Paul

I have an ISKY stage 1 for sale if you are interested $50.00shipped. Nice cam for the street. IMHO is ISKY are the better cams going for the L-series.

actually i may be interested, i was wanting the stage 2 but i may get it off of you if i run low on funds, gotta get my block checked out first. thank you!

Go here and download the factory service manual if you don't already have it.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

Like Banzai stated, the L series are super easy.

As far as cams go, call the guys up and grill em. They're knowledgeable about it. And set realistic goals about what you want. None of that "I want a 3/4 race cam, dual 44 mikunis and 35 mpg" shit. It ain't gonna happen. Always remember, you give up something by re-caming an engine. Web is the ones that reground the cam in my truck way back when and the guys asked what my uncle was doing with the truck and what he wanted out of it. They made the cam from there.

Paul

thanks for the info, no im not looking for crazy numbers just some good ole nostalgic carbs, a sweet sound, and maybe a little rumble, im not expecting more than 115 hp to the wheels, i dont care about the gas just driving a datsun period is worth burning gas even if its alot of it!!!!

Its EZ to install

DVDs on the way.

I am lucky I have all the lash pads I need from 150up to 200 at my house.

But really depends how much machine work was dont to the head. valve seats. valve stem. head machine ect.... But My personally guess is that about 160 with a a new Cam. Regrinds are about 180-190 But Im only giving a best guess.

nissanmotorsport and the Z car store have lash pads

anybody know what the mac lift for a cam on an l20b would be before the springs bind, im not wanting to go with a race cam but i dont want a mild cam that will bind the springs. i read that the max for the z car engines is .460 lift and i was looking at getting a 490 for my motor, just wondering if that was too much? i dont want to sacrifice too much low end, i knwo some of you said you liked the 490 isky profile, did it seem weak in the <3000 range????