Swapping a bed

RadioLobo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 4 bolts on each side. use a deep socket, 17mm if i remember right...sometimes the bolts just spin so you need to use something to wedge the top of the bolt to keep it from spinning. the long bed has 5 bed hooks and the short bed has 4. the short bed weighs about 350lbs the long bed slightly more.

I kind of like the flat bed. What kind of wheels are those?

It looks like a long bed to me,measure the wheelbase to be sure. Measure from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel. Long beds are 110 inches,shorties are 100 inches. Like they said,8 bolts and change the rear wheels and you're good to go.

The cab/chassis option (with dualies) was only available on the '79 620 and only with the long wheelbase. The rear axle/brakes are different from the regular 620 trucks. This could be home made?Is it a '79???

swapping a bed is cake, just make sure its the right bed, IE short with short, long bed with long bed blah blah...

Do yourself a favor, spray some WD40 on the bolts every day a week before you do it. And make sure you have a cheater bar on hand. Other n that, you will just need a person to help you pick it up. I have removed a bed on a 78 toyota longbox. What a pain in the ass that was.

The cab/chassis option (with dualies) was only available on the '79 620 and only with the long wheelbase. The rear axle/brakes are different from the regular 620 trucks. This could be home made?Is it a '79???

I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. :D

Guest DatsuNoob

Pulling my bed was a pain in the ass. As previously stated, these bolts have ears on them that just bend when they get too much torque and spin. No hex head means you can hardly grab em after that. I just got under there with a 90* high speed sander with a cutoff wheel, and split the nut on each bolt. WAAAAAAY faster than screwing around trying to unbolt them. Way less frustration too.