KA24DET radiators suggestions

dreadni

Has anyone out there used the aluminum Griffin Scirocco radiator for their turbo KA swap and how does it work? I am thinking of using the part#

2-58190-X Griffin to hopefully alow me to use two 10" spal fans. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and be nice guys, I have a small budget. I have been waiting for over two months for CXRacings radiator to return to stock to no avail. They dont know when they will be getting them either.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bestsourceautoparts.com/partsCatalog/geturl/wizard/year/2004/make/VW/model/JET-GLI-003/category/G1000/part/Radiator/pageFrom/catalog

I use a VW VR6 radiator from a 2001 Jetta, the radiator has done a great job of keeping an L28et(300+ rwh) cool even in CA central valley heat. Numerous VG30 swaps have used the same radiator, they are wider than the 4cyl Scirocco radiators, but IMO they do a better job of cooling a larger motor. My setup uses a 12" pusher fan and a 12" and a 10" puller fan, the larger radiator gives more space for larger fans.

I appreciate the response. That VR6 radiator does come in the width I desire but is too tall to fit considering the intercooler. It shows spec height of @16 inches while the Scirocco radiator is only 13 inches tall. I currently have the Scirocco plastic tank radiator in my car and it isn't getting the job done. The height of the Scirocco radiator is just about as high as I can go possibly an inch or two more may fit, but not 3 inches more. I am looking to get two 10" pulling fans on the radiator to get proper cooling. Thanks for the link also, I did check it out.

vw rabbit radiator or the scirroco one should work fine. I would just watch out for the width on the aluminum one as there is not much room in front of the KA. Unless you are positioning the engine closer to the firewall.

If it gets hot where you live, the VW radiators SUCK. The fins are too close together for enough air to flow through. We have guys here in AZ who have used them, and then gone back to the STOCK radiator because they are so bad. Down here you can't give them away, because they overheat the motor. The one everyone uses down here is from the Fiero, works fine in 110 degree heat.

The unfortunate problem with the Fiero radiator is the inlet and outlet are on opposed sides. For the KA setup, we need the inlet and outlet on the same side which happens to be the right side. Thanks for your input though.

Problem is easily fixed when you use the right hose. Most parts stores will let you browse their hose sections until you find something you think will fit. Done it many times when going through my projects. I would'nt let a $8 hose prevent you from using a better radiator.

Here's a pic from the Dime Quarterly: Granted it's a single cam KA, but the hose comes from the opposite side, and uses the Fiero radiator.

ka24_001.jpg

If it gets hot where you live, the VW radiators SUCK. The fins are too close together for enough air to flow through. We have guys here in AZ who have used them, and then gone back to the STOCK radiator because they are so bad. Down here you can't give them away, because they overheat the motor. The one everyone uses down here is from the Fiero, works fine in 110 degree heat.

Cut out some fins? hahaahah.. j/k.

This is what I'm using in my Ka-t setup. It works fine, but then I'm in Southern California and the temps don't get as hot as AZ.

I don't see why an aluminum Griffin one wouldn't work, besides fan clearance between the engine and radiator.

Or ask what this guy is using: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-Aluminum-Radiator-SR20DET-Swap-12-fans-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c4fc2a40fQQitemZ190316717071QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Auction is for an sr20det, but the pictures installed shows a KA engine.

I've got the rabbit one in my car now. It doesn't fit very well and spits out antifreeze when it warms up because there's no overflow.

On the bright side though it doesn't cool worth a damn. ;) It's got two fans mounted in front and the fins are so tight the air comes up and over the radiator rather than through it.

I'm in AZ as well and am looking to swap mine out for something that actually works. I saw this today, anyone have any idea what radiator this is?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2415217590103240641UeGufU

Again the Fiero radiator is too tall to fit in my car due to the intercooler. The radiator sits atop the inlet and outlet lines for the intercooler which is the reason for the height restriction. It appears after further research that the Griffin Radiator may be too thick to squeeze in there as well. Any other suggestions out there...help a brother out!

I appreciate the input so far. The Afco radiator is too thick as best I can tell at 3". At 2.5", I believe now that the Griffin is too thick as well. The OE style Scirocco radiator I currently have has just enough clearance to fit a single fan and that is the problem. I think that a wider version of the Scirocco would work. I think I am leaning towards a later model VW radiator with enough width to use 2 fans. I just wish CXRacing had the ready fit radiator in stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...