WTB: 70/80's cassette deck

Looking for a cassette deck for my 610. 70/80's analog(not digital) style with the two knobs on either side of where the cassettes go. Not into CD players; I like using a tape deck. I prefer cassettes over CDs. Let me know whatcha got!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for a cassette deck for my 610. 70/80's analog(not digital) style with the two knobs on either side of where the cassettes go. Not into CD players; I like using a tape deck. I prefer cassettes over CDs. Let me know whatcha got!

Going Old School, eh?! I don't have an old two knob, but I did retrofit a Nissan tape deck with CD player option into my car after high school. It was cool, for a while. Single disc player, and too much time on my hands, really.

You should install one for looks and keep a set of RCAs poking out of the glovebox for attaching an iPod. You never know...

Geez, I think I threw the last analog ones I had away a few years ago- though in my defense I thinkj the ones I tossed didn't work anyway. Well, except the one in my '75, but I doubt the tape deck part works anymore. I still have a bunch of 3-hole digital-tuner tape decks including at least 3 JVCs that are 1980s vintage, and a Blaupunkt... but the Blaupunkt is missing one of the proprietary speaker cables. My Mom still has a 1983-vintage Grundig, one of the first digital tuner tape decks. In her '73 620.

Somewhere in my junk pile I have an original 1978 Datsun add-on tape deck (no radio, you fed the radio through it) that went in the console, but it doesn't work. Prior owner ate a lot of fast food in the car and the deck ended up full of ketchup...

My last 2 620s have had the factory AM radio (the one that's a parts truck now, it was the ONLY radio and still worked perfectly) and even my "Blue Beater" Hatchback has the factory radio still installed. The dash opening is too small for a standard sized 3-hole in the '78 510 and the '83 720 (knobs too close together) and I didn't want to hack the dash so I installed a CD deck in the console and left the OEM radio alone.

EDIT:::

OK, I looked. The Blaupunkt is analog. It worked last I knew, but it is missing one of the proprietary speaker cables (it has the other, so at least you'd know what to look for).

I also have a Sony from at least mid-80s or earlier (but no idea of working condition, I THINK the radio worked back in 1994 but I don't know) and I have a cheap junk Roadmaster analog thing that was in a truck. I'll try to get photos up if you're in the least bit interested. None are complete, though- the Sony is missing a knob and has no faceplate, same with the Roadmaster (which may have no knobs). The Blaupunkt has the faceplate but is missing one speaker cable. I think the Sony is quasi-digital. No guarantees on operating condition; It's been at LEAST 15 years since I powered any of these on, except the Roadmaster which got removed with prejudice.

OK, I looked. The Blaupunkt is analog. It worked last I knew, but it is missing one of the proprietary speaker cables (it has the other, so at least you'd know what to look for).

I also have a Sony from at least mid-80s or earlier (but no idea of working condition, I THINK the radio worked back in 1994 but I don't know) and I have a cheap junk Roadmaster analog thing that was in a truck. I'll try to get photos up if you're in the least bit interested. None are complete, though- the Sony is missing a knob and has no faceplate, same with the Roadmaster (which may have no knobs). The Blaupunkt has the faceplate but is missing one speaker cable. I think the Sony is quasi-digital. No guarantees on operating condition; It's been at LEAST 15 years since I powered any of these on, except the Roadmaster which got removed with prejudice.

Yeah, post me up some pics. I went to the JY yesterday and didn't find what I wanted there. I'm gonna go check another one today.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.