1979 susp. into 1974

marco

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 1974 620 also have 79 with disk brakes uper and lower control arms look same ex ball joints for nuckle will it go into the 74 lookes like it will

The parts won't interchange but you could swap the '74 body and box onto the '79 frame. Well as long as it isn't a King Cab or long wheelbase.

The parts won't interchange but you could swap the '74 body and box onto the '79 frame. Well as long as it isn't a King Cab or long wheelbase.

sad the 79 is a king cab 74 std guess i got to find a 79 std cab what years had disk brakes

sad the 79 is a king cab 74 std guess i got to find a 79 std cab what years had disk brakes

The only 620 that had disk brakes was 79.

I had a 79 king cab parts truck and wanted to do the same for my 78 lil hustler. I decided to rework the original drum brakes and am satisfied. For me it was not worth the money to put disk brakes on the early 620. My brakes work great. The trick is to rework the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and very important you have proper vacuum to the brake booster.

Disc brakes I believe came out in late '77 which was the early '78 model 620 (i.e. before jan. '78), these early '78s also still had the gas tank mounted to the bed, 620s produced jan '78 and after had frame mounted tanks. And I believe the disc brakes on the 620s were adopted from the 810 models.

nope.... my 78 has disc brakes. 78 was the first year if memory serves. maybe late 77 but by 78 they were factory. if you had a 78 drum truck , then the frame may not have been the right one for the truck.

I had a 79 king cab parts truck and wanted to do the same for my 78 lil hustler. I decided to rework the original drum brakes and am satisfied. For me it was not worth the money to put disk brakes on the early 620. My brakes work great. The trick is to rework the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and very important you have proper vacuum to the brake booster.

The first year for disc brakes was '78, along with ball joint steering, internally regulated alternator and electronic ignition outside California. Drum brakes on the front work, but require them to be maintained (adjusted regularly) while disc do not. Disc are superior for hard braking and have a better 'feel' and can be modulated to release them if they lock up. I found front drum brakes once locked up tended to stay locked, but that just me. Disc are simpler to work on and easier to replace pads.