What alternator ?

Trex72

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu can figure this out yourself.

k the model yr and if they list a voltrage on the side then you know its external.

If the model yr dont list a volt reg then you can assume its a Internal VR.

But the cutoff is usaully around late78 79 when they started to go Internal VR alternators.

PS a 50/60 amper alt in a truck needs soem modes as most trucks I seen have the smaller 35amper. cause the alternator case is Bigger in the 50/60 ampers it can hit the ilder arm mount on the fram and cant get full adjustment/makes noise rattling on the idler arms

YOu can figure this out yourself.

k the model yr and if they list a voltrage on the side then you know its external.

If the model yr dont list a volt reg then you can assume its a Internal VR.

But the cutoff is usaully around late78 79 when they started to go Internal VR alternators.

PS a 50/60 amper alt in a truck needs soem modes as most trucks I seen have the smaller 35amper. cause the alternator case is Bigger in the 50/60 ampers it can hit the ilder arm mount on the fram and cant get full adjustment/makes noise rattling on the idler arms

X2 on this. '78 and up had internal regulators. In order to fit you need the smaller 35 amp 620 alt.

IF yours was converted to internal regulated 60 amp then any '80-'86 720 truck or '80-'83 200sx will work.

datsun 610s I dont know what year started having External reg 50amp alternator from there up had the 50/60 ampers in the cars

Yes 510s have more room and the mounts are pretty much the same. even up to the KA alternators(just have different connector instead of the T connector.

youll need to do the jumpers at the voltReg connector if you havent dont them already.

Datzenmike shows this and a few other people.

datsun 610s I dont know what year started having External reg 50amp alternator from there up had the 50/60 ampers in the cars

Datsun 610s all had 50 Amp Alternators standard, the 60 Amp was an "upgrade"

You can ask for the "upgraded 60 Amp alternator" at the counter when ordering.

Datsun 610s all had 50 Amp Alternators standard, the 60 Amp was an "upgrade"

You can ask for the "upgraded 60 Amp alternator" at the counter when ordering.

This is true. Going up 10 amps is a waste of time. My 710 had external regulator and I had a 60 amp internal regulator (IR) from an '80 200sx perfect fit mo mods what so ever to the mount or belt. I'm used to the 620 35 amp and didn't know the 510/610/710 already had a 50 amp alt., so really I was just up grading to IR. As it turned out it was no good so a had a spare 720 (60 amp) IR (also a perfect fit) and it worked for a day. :angry: Lucky third try was modifying a 240sx KA 80 amp alt to fit. Very happy with it. Reads 14.7 volts with high beams on at idle, heater does not speed up and down with the signal flashers.

• 4 weeks later...

Ask and...

510iraltswap.jpg

You must disconnect the old regulator and not use it. I used the external regulator plug, cut all wires off 2" long, removed all but the four that need to be jumpered together. Bared the wires and soldered he white/black and white/red together and the yellow and white and sealed with heat shrink tubing. Now the jumpers are on the old plug and you just connect it to the main harness. Neat, secure and no bare loose taped up wires to cause problems later.

Regulator plug with spade connectors removed ready for cutting.

710IRaltswap012Large.jpg

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

Finished plug with jumper wires put back in position.

710IRaltswap015Large.jpg

dude this is EZ.

remove the old volt reg connector.the engine harness connecotrs will be female

make 2 jumper wires with male blade connectors on there. 1/2in to 1 in long.

now stick it in the female connector

wht/red will jumper to the wht blk

yellow jumpered to the white.

Mike was just showing you another way using the old Volt reg side of the connector to accomplish the same thing.

If in dought then dont do it

I reread your post you say you dont have the volt reg connector. Where is it? Or is this car already converted. Soul

Sounds like the car is converted already and just order a 78/79 Z car alternator