1980 280zx Gas Gauge issue

Hey,

I own a 1980 280zx, and the gas gauge is not working properly... when i fill up the tank the needle hardly moves.. the reserve gage still works. but i cant tell how much gas i have beyond 1/4 tank. anyone have this issue or know how to fix it?

much thanks,

Rian

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I own a 1980 280zx, and the gas gauge is not working properly... when i fill up the tank the needle hardly moves.. the reserve gage still works. but i cant tell how much gas i have beyond 1/4 tank. anyone have this issue or know how to fix it?

much thanks,

Rian

have you pulled your cluster and checked for corrosion on the back of the gauge/connections?

Do you have a busted Fuel Float in the tank ? ( in my 240z , you simply take off the positive/negative wires to the sender (2) of them , then take a screw driver and lightly tap the "Fuel Tank Sender Locking Ring" to whichever direction loosens it ( sorry forgot which direction ) , but does not take much force so be careful and do not hit the "Fuel Tank Sending Unit Retaining Tabs" , you want to be tapping on the "Fuel Tank Sending Unit Locking Ring edges"

This is what my fuel tank sending unit looks like for the 240z/260z from --->>> http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT The float is the black thingy ;) :D

large113271.jpg

I actually couldn't find your part at a glance from MSA for a 280zx , but I would check this since my experience is Floats "retain weight" , and get "busted" more often than one thinks they should ! You will need to order a new "O-Ring" to reseal the unit back into the tank. Gauges have there problems too though , soooo IDK ? :huh:

Hope that helps somewhat , otherwords it could be the gauge ( clean the electrical connections at the rear to the sending unit at the gas tank while your there for shitz and giggles ? who knows ? :D )

Do what Skib said too ^^^ :D

The 280ZX has 2 fuel gauges DTP, the regular E to F one and then theres a zoomed in version under it that goes from E to 1/4 tank. If the float was junked I dont think the E to 1/4 would work either.

I missed that gauge when I went from a 280ZX to a 240Z, it was pretty neat :lol:

Ground the sender wire at the tank. The gauge should read full full reading. If it doesn't then it's the gauge, needle stuck or something. If it does read full then the sender is stuck/ broken.

The 280ZX has 2 fuel gauges DTP, the regular E to F one and then theres a zoomed in version under it that goes from E to 1/4 tank. If the float was junked I dont think the E to 1/4 would work either.

I missed that gauge when I went from a 280ZX to a 240Z, it was pretty neat :lol:

:lol: --->>> whoops :rofl: I did not know this ! thanks Capt ;) , and it really is pretty neat :D

Yeah , I have seen some floats "hold" weight ( ISUZU NPR Diesel Commercial Fleet Trucks ) , and still work to a point , but this is now beyond me since I didn't even know there was 2 versions --->>> LOLZ --- hehehe

AND I'M OUT !!! :P :fu: -->> :hug:

hahaha hotlink fail :lol:

Damn it :rofl: --->>> I tried to take that off before anyone saw :sneaky: --->>> :rofl:

It was suppose to be " The House M.D " with band-aids over his mouth :lol:

Ahhhh - :w00t: here she blows !!! ( This is what I will do on this thread now :lol: )

dr-house.jpg