Bulding an A15

I'm in the process of building up my A15 in my Sunny, and I need to know some opinions on this. I'm working off a low budget, so any advice on how to save money would be appreciated. The plan is to build a decent amount of N/A horsepower.

-So far, I've killed all the emissions and installed a new MSD Blaster 3 coil on my electronic dizzy. I got a 32/36 Weber DGAV to install as well as plans on the drawing board for a custom header based off my stock exhaust manifold and glasspack to finish it off.

-As far as valve train, what should I look for? I'm planning on pulling the head this summer and rebuilding the head, lapping the valves, new valve seals, etc. Should I consider stronger valve springs as well? Or are the stock one's okay on an N/A engine? I don't really plan on revving beyond 6500

-What are your opinion's on re-ground cams over new cams? I know I can save a ton of money by having a cam reground instead of buying a new cam.

-I need to try and avoid pulling the engine. I have too many problems as is with the county code enforcement, and I can't risk any violation's. Pulling the engine would draw a little too much attention.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm kind of a noob when it comes down to A-series and I don't want to kill anything.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, you can't swap a cam in an A series engine without pulling the engine. Well, you can but the lifters will fall into the oil pan. And without a cam upgrade, all the head work in the would would not do much good. One thing I noticed on mine is an aluminum flywheel makes a big difference on these engines. While it does not "add" HP, it does make the engine rev out and accelerate quicker.

Mark

why would you get a violation for pulling the motor? that makes no sence

Around here, the county code states that I can't have a disabled vehicle. According to a lawyer friend of my dads, pulling a motor is crossing the line since it's considered major modifications/work.

I had the Datsun for under a week and code enforcement was knocking on the door with two violations stating that I was running an automotive repair business (total bullshit and got dropped) and that I had a vehicle with no tag. We pointed out that it was still within 30 days of the purchase, so we were well within the law. Got it tagged, and problem solved. But he still drives by every once in a while to check up.

Geez, what a bunch of anal retentive dickwads. You need to move to a county and/or trailer park where having at least one vehicle on blocks is required. :lol:

Your tellin me. haha

I would totally do that if I was making above minimum wage. lol