LZ22 5-speed question..

I've decided to build an LZ22 for my 80' 4x4 720(originally had an L20b). I have everything for the engine, including the Z-series motor mounts. I also have the L-series motor mounts for an L20b, and am wanting to use the L-series mounts to give the engine the appearance of an L-series(leaning toward passenger side). However, if I do this, I'm faced with the issue of having my Naps-Z 5-speed leaning in an awkward position, heavily to the passenger side.

My question here is, should I even bother with the L-series motor mounts? Other than looking incredibly goofy, is there going to be any negative effect on me using the Z-series mounts? I'm thinking that with the sidedraft carb setup I'm using, fuel will now instead of running down the throats of the carbs, gravity will pull it out the mouth of the carb, into the filter. When running, it will be like trying to use a vacuum to pull a creek uphill.

So my question is, has anyone else done this, and was it a problem for you? I just realized that this could potentially be an issue, and am looking to correct it before I go further. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I see is fuel level in the carbs if they aren't level. I've seen motors run upside down in an accident so a motor can pull gas and air up hill. In fact there are up draft carbs. Perhaps a 12 degree wedge shaped spacer between carb and manifold to level it?

I've never seen it done but the tilted tranny should still work leaning over. Be sure to mod the rear mount to properly support it. Open the shift hole in the floor so it can be shifted through the range without hitting the floor. (may not even need this) Bend the shifter 12 degrees to the left to make it vertical. As I said I can't think of any reason this won't work. (take pictures) :lol:

bonvo, no it came with an L series 4 speed :( might be able to use the bell housing off that...

It will bolt on but.... I know, there is always a catch. The reverse light switch on a 4 speed is about 1 inch further to the rear than the 5 speed. You can drill and tap a new hole and plug the old one and it will work.

Here is a 5spd with reverse switch. Just to the left is the space where the 4spd reverse switch would be.

revswB5.jpg

Here is a 4spd converted over with the reverse switch moved forward for use on a 5spd.

RevSwitch.jpg

FWIW The last year an L series tranny was used was 1984.

bonvo, no it came with an L series 4 speed :( might be able to use the bell housing off that...

It will bolt on but.... I know, there is always a catch. The reverse light switch on a 4 speed is about 1 inch further to the rear than the 5 speed. You can drill and tap a new hole and plug the old one and it will work.

Here is a 5spd with reverse switch. Just to the left is the space where the 4spd reverse switch would be.

revswB5.jpg

Here is a 4spd converted over with the reverse switch moved forward for use on a 5spd.

RevSwitch.jpg

FWIW The last year an L series tranny was used was 1984.