RL411sss in new england

In the land of no Datsuns (New England) a cool little thing has appeared. A one owner 1967 411sss!

I have asked for pictures. Which I will share of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-RL411SSS-Pre-1981-Original-owner_W0QQitemZ170175448802QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170175448802

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How rare are these things? The owner gave me a great story of how he aquired it. I love hearing history from one owner vehicles.

"It may have been late in 1967 when I bought it for my wife as a rainy day car - she had a Jag XK140MC then. The dealer, Ed St. Germaine in Waltham showed me the car in his storage building. Back at the office I asked him what SSS meant. "Stupid S&%$ Sedan?" was his reply before he researched his promotional material and learned that it is a "Super Sport Sedan", actually an RL311 roadster with a four door body. 1495cc, dual "SS" carbs, 4 on the floor, a going bomb for what is under the hood. I've forgotten what actually sidelined it - probably Betty's winning an '85 Chrysler 5th Ave. I thought, a few years ago, that it was time to bring it back and had my friend's shop restore it to running condition- that was before I had a batch of ill health. My desire was killed - I'm too old for that stuff now. Will add pics as soon as possible"

I wonder how well it survived the New England winters. Especially since he mentions he bought it for his wife as a 'rainy day' driver. Hope there weren't to many 'snowy days' too! How cool though.

Cool Tana! I am waiting to see pictures. I thought folks here would be stoked about a 411sss. Are they as cool as my imagination?

Any ratsuners have one?

How rare are these things? The owner gave me a great story of how he aquired it. I love hearing history from one owner vehicles.

"It may have been late in 1967 when I bought it for my wife as a rainy day car - she had a Jag XK140MC then. The dealer, Ed St. Germaine in Waltham showed me the car in his storage building. Back at the office I asked him what SSS meant. "Stupid S&%$ Sedan?" was his reply before he researched his promotional material and learned that it is a "Super Sport Sedan", actually an RL311 roadster with a four door body. 1495cc, dual "SS" carbs, 4 on the floor, a going bomb for what is under the hood.

Not quite right. The RL411 was the PL411 4-door sedan with the same R16 (1600cc dual SU carbs) engine as the SRL311 roadster.

I am waiting to see pictures. I thought folks here would be stoked about a 411sss. Are they as cool as my imagination?

Any ratsuners have one?

Depends. I think they're cool, however, my wife refers to it as the Blue Piece of $h!t.

As for how rare, I figure less than 10,000 410 (E engine)/411 (J engine or R16 engine) were imported between '64-'68. Tana has several parked and there have been pics, but Pete Petersen's (in San Jose) and mine are the only two I've ever seen on the road.

If it's close to you, won't hurt to check it out. Be nice to see pics. He's high if he thinks he'll get that much money for it.

ha ha...my PL 410 (65) runs great, just purrs...uhmmm, just doesn't stop at the moment...we are being slow about remaking the new brake lines...that the (Wow) Datsun mechanic that I hired broke when he was hired to work on my brakes. He broke the brake line...then said...oh well, broke a brake line, can't do anymore and left...never asked him to come back.

He also poured/dumped brake fluid all over my engine and carb...some mechanic that would be! Also had this guy "rebuild" my brake master cylinder...my fiance got suspicious about the work...took it apart (he is a hydraulics mechanic) and found the cylinder had deep rough spots...had not been bored out at all. He ended up rebuilding it afterall! Dumb me...trying to hire a real Datsun mechanic...now I know who NOT to trust.

Too bad they all aren't like Jeff....he is really smart and figures out things very quickly...thanks for helping so much Jeff!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.