1999 honda civic seats into a 510 wagon

cl72wagon

I did not change anything on the stock 510 mounting system, modified only the seats.

So here goes

First thing is to cut off all of the factory honda mounts, then grind whats left of the rivets flush with the seat rails. sorry No pics of this step because i forgot to take them.

Also Grab all of the seat belts......I didnt so now i have to hunt some down.

You will need to get some 3/8 or 5/16 by 1 inch flat bar. I cut it in 2 inch lengths. you will need 4 per seat.

Then you will need to drill a clearance hole for a 8mm flat head bolt. dimensions i use were centered on the 1 inch width and 1/2 from one end. After drilling the hole you will need to counter sink it so that the bolt head sits down below the surface of the flat bar. put the bolt in place and run a nut up finger tight to the bottom of the flat bar to hold it in place. And now you can weld the top of the bolt, then grind the weld flush. This pic is for a referance, the hole is just drilled in some left over material, because some how my pics of the actual parts didnt come out well.

IMG_4232.jpg

Install all parts in the stock locations, so that the excess material is pointing to the tranny tunnel and to the doors. Set one seat in place, get it where you want it and tack weld it to your new brackets. THen pull that seat out and do the other one. Also one thing to watch for is that the both the seat rails are in the same location.

IMG_4228.jpg

with the seats out of the car fully weld new brackets to the seats. While doing this take care to cover up the seats with a blanket or card board and remove any plastic that is close to the welds. or just remove the rails from the seat. And this is also a good time to paint over the welds

Now reinstall the seats and go for a ride. I did notice that the seats sit up a little higher then the stock 510 seats, and the lean towards the doors. which I will correct with some fender washers. The seats are a huge improvement from the stock seats. Very comfortable. And as far as the seats being higher, it works out well. I am 6'3" and i still have head room. Feel free to ask any questions

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the mounting tabs are the same for Del Sol seats?

I dont know anything about the del sol seats, but this should be a pretty universal mounting set up. The seat tracks may not be as far as apart as the civic seats, so the tabs may not have to be as long. But it is nice to have them a little longer then needed so they can be welded all around.

You may want to mention to grab the seat belts or at least the buckles to use with the receivers that are mounted to the seat. Once again I wish I would have seen a "how to" like this before I butchered a pair of honduh seats I got for free one time. Thanks for the write-up

I did add to grab all the seat belts out of the doner car

Nice write up. :) Very good chance I will use this idea when I reposition my seats.

When positioning the seats, I would make sure the driver's seat is centered on the steering wheel as much as possible....even if it's off center on the brackets.

Just for clarity of info....in the 2nd pic, the reinforcement plate under the rail should have the sloped piece to the rear....it should nestle under the lip of the rail if that makes any sense. :)

Keep 'em coming!

Nice write up. smile.gif Very good chance I will use this idea when I reposition my seats.

When positioning the seats, I would make sure the driver's seat is centered on the steering wheel as much as possible....even if it's off center on the brackets.

Just for clarity of info....in the 2nd pic, the reinforcement plate under the rail should have the sloped piece to the rear....it should nestle under the lip of the rail if that makes any sense. smile.gif

Keep 'em coming!

thanks for the thumbs up. ......yeah i noticed that the reinforcement plate was backwards after i took the pics....My cousin who did the welding installed those, they will be fixed today. The only thing i may change in the future is make the tabs wider so i could push the see back and inch or two for just a little more leg room.