Lowering my truck

KrazzyKevin

I've finally got some money flowing in, and I'd really like to lower my 720 a bit. I'm wondering if y'all think I could get away with putting lower profile tires on the rims I've got right now, rather than buying new rims AND tires.

Right now the truck has a 2 inch lift, and I plan to remove that, then drop the truck 2 or 3 inches further.

Sorry this picture isn't the best example, but I'm at college right now and don't have access to all my photos:

4525558755_8005a591c6_o.jpg

Looking for opinions on both the mechanics and the way it would look.

-Kevin

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finally got some money flowing in, and I'd really like to lower my 720 a bit. I'm wondering if y'all think I could get away with putting lower profile tires on the rims I've got right now, rather than buying new rims AND tires.

Right now the truck has a 2 inch lift, and I plan to remove that, then drop the truck 2 or 3 inches further.

Sorry this picture isn't the best example, but I'm at college right now and don't have access to all my photos:

-Kevin

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of answers but I would drop it 3" and put some 18" rims on it. I have a 720 and that's what I'm doing... Of course you could leave the wheels you have with different tires, just depends on the look your going for... Roy

I have never been a fan of running undersize tires on wheels. It looks a little odd and most importantly, throws off your speedometer and odometer. (unless you swap in a high geared rear axel and calculate exactly what tire size you need for a correct reading)

18's are hard on your suspension and heavy. I sold my 18" Titans and went with 17" Frontier wheels. I like the ride better. Even with only a 1" difference it made a lot of difference in the smooth ride.

If you go with 17's, you can later install drop spindles. Since you have a 1986 truck i believe the Hardbody drop spindles will bolt right in and use your existing brakes. Two inch drop spindles require 17" wheels or larger.

I have never been a fan of running undersize tires on wheels. It looks a little odd and most importantly, throws off your speedometer and odometer. (unless you swap in a high geared rear axel and calculate exactly what tire size you need for a correct reading)

18's are hard on your suspension and heavy. I sold my 18" Titans and went with 17" Frontier wheels. I like the ride better. Even with only a 1" difference it made a lot of difference in the smooth ride.

If you go with 17's, you can later install drop spindles. Since you have a 1986 truck i believe the Hardbody drop spindles will bolt right in and use your existing brakes. Two inch drop spindles require 17" wheels or larger.

For reals?! I would need larger wheels when using drop spindles?!?!? Awww man.... I guess I would leave that till the very end. I would need to buy new wheels and tires if I ever want to buy and use those drop spindles.

....If you go with 17's, you can later install drop spindles. Since you have a 1986 truck i believe the Hardbody drop spindles will bolt right in and use your existing brakes. Two inch drop spindles require 17" wheels or larger.

Not sure why HB drop spindles would require 17 inch wheels on a 720 - have had BellTech HB 2" drop spindles on my 79 620 KC (with HB calipers & rotors) in combination with 15x6 steelies (4wd Dodge D50) & 185/60x15 tires since last year with no clearance issues of any kind (rears are D50's widened to 15x7 with 205/60's).

If the wheels you currently have are 15's & the same rim width on all four corners, you should have a number of reasonable alternatives for either realatively low profile rubber all the way around on your existing rims, or, if you want "big & littles" on the wheels you have, run a taller tire of similar section width in the back (like 185/55 front & 195/60 rear).

Not sure why HB drop spindles would require 17 inch wheels on a 720 - have had BellTech HB 2" drop spindles on my 79 620 KC (with HB calipers & rotors) in combination with 15x6 steelies (4wd Dodge D50) & 185/60x15 tires since last year with no clearance issues of any kind (rears are D50's widened to 15x7 with 205/60's).

17" is what Belltech says and what Hardbody owners have reported. Your wheels are so narrow and your offset low so that it must clear your lower a-arm.

I ran some deep 15's on stock 620 suspension and there was very little clearance below the lower ball joint. Certainly not 2"

I'm guessing your wheels don't even stick in below the suspension. its good to know that some narrow wheels can fit

To be specific, my current setup is 215/60R15 wheels and tires on my truck. If I wanted to say, lower it three inches, (keep in mind that in the photo in my first post the truck is raised two inches, so the total drop from what is seen there would be five inches) What tire setup would you recomend if I kept the current fifteen inch wheels?

-Kevin

Back in the day I used to run 195/60/15 in the front and 215/60/15 in the rear on 720 4x4 rims on my 620kc with about 2.5" front drop. From the looks of this picture you can probably get your 4-5" drop with the current wheels and tires and there would be no problem running that tire on a Pathfinder or similair offset wheel. Just crank her down and see what happens you might be surprised. Get the front height set then drop the rear accordingly and you can take your time to decide what wheels you will want later

Have you considered leaving it at the current height and adding some 30 or 31" tires? That could be cool too. My next Datsun project is going up instead of down. Lots of desert around here to play in.

If the wheels you currently have are 15's & the same rim width on all four corners, you should have a number of reasonable alternatives for either realatively low profile rubber all the way around on your existing rims, or, if you want "big & littles" on the wheels you have, run a taller tire of similar section width in the back (like 185/55 front & 195/60 rear).

Thanks! I have some 14x6 and that might clear the fronts. By chance can you take a pic of where it might rub please on your 620? I have some 15x7 installed. It would suck if they would hit.