280ZX Alternator Conversion

goes2fast

Has anyone installed a 60 amp 280ZX alternator in a 620? I need to know how to get the water outlet, and lower radiator hose to clear. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys for any help, tried a search and had no luck.:unsure:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure what motor your runnin but Iv got one on my L16 in my 510, I just used the early L16 alt bracket (the welded one instead of cast) and its a tight squeeze in there but it fits

Mine is a L20B with the cast bracket. With the lower hose off it hits the outlet before you get to even the end of the adjustment slot, so something has to be changed for it to fit.:(

What most guys do is get the lower hose jacket off a 280zx. Same bolt holes but it angles UP & away from the alternator. I swapped in a 60 amp alt. from a 81 510 in my 620 & didnt have to change the lower jacket. Maybe the alt. brackets are different ??

Get the lower rad hose to timing cover inlet from the 280zx, this will lift the hose and direct it more to the rear and above the larger alternator. I used the alt. to engine mount from a 720, maybe the 280zx will work too. It lowers the alternator about 1/2". for additional clearance.

motoraltmountsZtopandL.jpg

I used a shorter belt and slipped it on the pulley before bolting the alternator to the mount. This was the only way to keep the alt. up close to the block and away from the idler arm. This also keeps the cooling fan blades on the alt. away from the rad hose.

Get the lower rad hose to timing cover inlet from the 280zx, this will lift the hose and direct it more to the rear and above the larger alternator. I used the alt. to engine mount from a 720, maybe the 280zx will work too. It lowers the alternator about 1/2". for additional clearance.

motoraltmountsZtopandL.jpg

I used a shorter belt and slipped it on the pulley before bolting the alternator to the mount. This was the only way to keep the alt. up close to the block and away from the idler arm. This also keeps the cooling fan blades on the alt. away from the rad hose.

Thanks Guys:D