Joel's burubado 610 Bluebird-U SSS

Hi Ratsun,

I reckon there aren't enough 610's on here, there is only one other place I am showing this car build - and that's Auszoku (www.auszoku.net)

I'll be copying and pasting my entries from that forum.

Here goes:

So.... I'm planning the next ride. Pulsar will be sold early next year and as soon as it is I'll be moving on to something more classic that's going to take up less of my time

I looked around for inspiration and decided i'd like a pre-80s hardtop coupe. There are a few examples in Australia that i could choose from, there's the skyline route however the shape isn't ideal for what I want and it's 6 cylinder which means expensive rego. There's the corona mark II but same sort of deal. One that really make me perk up and take notice was the good old 180B SSS which is also called a 610 or Bluebird-U depending where you are on the planet (why do Aussies change the names to something silly?).

The Bluebird is suitable looks wise & engine wise, and another bonus is that it has IRS factory! It's a neat little car and I can see real potential.

So i got to work in photoshop and ended up with this:

610_CONCEPT.jpg

I rather like it.

So early next year work will commence.

I am currently keeping an eye out for what's popping up online

I'll post any developments in here.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started restoration work on my japanese tails last night and this morningand and they are brilliant...

Most tails are glued or fused together, but these are simply clipped together with seals to keep out water....

So about 2 seconds and you have this:

Image0462.jpg

The middle yellow lens is loose and can be replaced with a red one to make them USDM (usa had red indicators) which is interesting..

I’ve removed the old dodgy studs and once cleaned up, will replace them with stainless studs by screwing in bolts and chopping the heads off.

The front covers will be tidied up, stripped and rechromed, then when I get them back I’ll mask them up and respray the satin black areas.

As you can see in the housing, each light section is a simple rectangle, I’m going to make up circuit boards to sit in the housing.

I estimate that each circuit board will each have about 100 super bright white LEDs.

Because the circuit boards will be set back in the housing, the light from the LEDs will refract in the lens much like reflected light from the factory incandecent bulbs which will give a factory, but much more efficient, reliable and brighter light output.

WIN

We'll I've bought a car!

It's very nice condition, unfortunately it's red - i always seem to get red cars and i hate the colour! it's nice new paint too which will make it hard to bring myself to respray... I will have to delay it i think... concentrate on other aesthetics first, I'll live with the red...

anyways introducing my burubado:

IMG35U01.jpg

IMG35U02.jpg

IMG35U03.jpg

IMG35U04.jpg

IMG35U05.jpg

IMG35U06.jpg

IMG35U07.jpg

IMG35U08.jpg

IMG35U09.jpg

IMG35U10.jpg

IMG35U11.jpg

IMG35U12.jpg

As seen on ebay:

IMG35U00.jpg

Bought privately for $4000

now i have to work out whether it's cheaper to fly to canberra and drive it back or get it towed up......

EDIT: The seller's neighbour does car freight - $400 from Young NSW (near Canberra) to Brisbane! WIN!

omfg shit handling shit steering, shit tyres and twin carb power makes for a fun drive in the wet haha! a little on the scary side with the really dodgy seatbelts, i don't think they would stand up to anything! new ones are a must.

i put the rims on last night so it should be a bit better now..

fitment is pretty damn brilliant! i thought they would be miles inside the guards but instead they have a little bit of poke!

once lowered they will tuck in a little more...

pics up tomorrow. it really does need some serious lowering (like 10" in the rear! ;)), need to figure out what coilovers i can use...

i pulled off the std rear vision mirror and replaced with a n12 pulsar one with night vision thing and put a convex mirror over the top.

went to put my steering wheel on but i need a different boss kit.

tail lights plug straight in but i need to restore them still

gauges are dismantled and i'll be restoring them too before i install them.

there are a couple of things the dude didnt tell me about which is a little dissapointing, going to send him a wtf email tomorrow.

oh, and it's orange... not red, so that's better... :wink:

s13 stuff is supposed to be wrong with the steering, but i'll look into it.

i want to get something that's readily available and somewhat cheap. I'll figure something out.

photos!

Image0493.jpg

Image0494.jpg

Image0495.jpg

Image0496.jpg

Image0497.jpg

Image0498.jpg

Image0499.jpg

Image0500.jpg

Image0501.jpg

Image0502.jpg

Image0503.jpg

Image0504.jpg

Image0505.jpg

Image0506.jpg

Image0507.jpg

Image0508.jpg

Image0509.jpg

Image0510.jpg

Image0511.jpg

Image0522.jpg

Image0524.jpg

this steering wheel is french and it's got chunks out of it and i hate it.

but the boss kit spacing is fkn huge! so new boss kit is needed before i can fit my wheel.

forgive the numberplate coverage, i'm going to be a bit more stealth with this car.

I kinda gutted the car last night lol

Image0547.jpg

i love old cars, got all the ventilation/heating system out without removing the dash :P

also removed head unit, strange suroun sound thin go, two gauges and a noise suppressor. all not needed.

makes it a lot tidier under there.

removed the sound deadening too so i can hear the engine...

this is why i wanted to pull everything out:

Image0551.jpg

Image0541.jpg

the heater matrix has been replaced already but the idiots didn't replace the rubber hoses which are persihed.

the metal hoses are also corroded...

the fan has self destructed.. probably when they replaced the matrix...

added my friend doraemon..

when he's hungry i feed him ramen but pulling his but-string...

Image0546.jpg

:D

Just replaced a leaky tyre valve stem :D popped the tyre off the bead, undid the leaky ssr valve stem, pulled a new one thru then a quick trip down to the servo with some chunks of wood, a valve tool, the servo pump and my body weight i re-stretched the tyre :D big thanks to johnzoku for the expert teaching a few months back :D

Got a bunch of parts on the weekend.

another set of early gauges but these are MINT

badges

an import grill

chrome trim

window seals

4 spd gearbox

and a bunch more

$100 :D

got my heater/fan unit mostly together again, just need to sort out replacements for the rusty heater hose... will figure it out this week hopefully.

Does anyone know where i can buy new seat belts for a hardtop? Noone seems to make them!

Didn't know they did custom belts.... I'll discuss it with them. Thanks

crusty heater tap...

fill with WD40 and soak overnight

move the valve back and forth until it's free then leave full of wd40 again for another night.

empty wd40

heater valve works like new :)

Image0554.jpg

new fan after a quick clean up with a toothbrush

Image0555.jpg

replacing the valve stem...

remove air & pop the bead back to reveal the back of the valve

Image0556.jpg

undo the nut (careful not to drop it, the washer or the seal) and pull thru

Image0557.jpg

old & new

Image0558.jpg

pull the new one thru and put a METAL valve cap on it

Image0559.jpg

pull it thru with vice grips

Image0560.jpg

reinflate tyre and it's as good as new!

tails are in... still need to make new seals, respray the black and find a centre piece but they are about a billion times better than the adm ones already.

Image0562.jpg

Image0563.jpg

Image0564.jpg

put the gear knob on and trial fitted the ke30 seats too.

Image0565.jpg

Any engine swaps will be a long way off. decided to invest some money in getting a small business running instead.

I'm happy with the L20b though, nice level of torque. I may just install trumpets, headers, possibly a hotter cam & a tighter diff and be happy :)

I just went up to the store and the system says that K4264 is no longer available but the new numbers K1513 + K7099 can be used instead.

K1513 is a normal pillar retractor seat belt

K7099 is a 250mm drop link.

I've just emailed Klippan to confirm, will let you know.

Cheers