My 510

Cambo

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IM000679.JPGIM000681.JPG

I've had 510's for 24 years now. This one I've had 20 years. The first 8 years it was my daily driver. It was powered by a Z18et/5sp, shortend 810 struts with 280zx rear suspension and brakes. As the engine started to get tired and the body was showing it's age I decided to restore the car. That was 12 years ago. Now it looks like this is going to be the year I finaly get it back on the road.

The body work is all done for the most part. I've updated alot of the wiring, but it still needs some finishng touches. The suspension has coilovers at all corners, with 280ZX struts up front and 280ZX rear suspension mounted to a home built Pendultimate crossmember. The front struts have rebuilt inards and the rear coilovers are adjustable GAB units from a Subaru Legacy wagon. The engine is the Z18ET again but with a overbored Z22 bottom end, so that makes it a Z23ET. The rear diff. is a open 3.70 r180, but it will be repalced with some sort of LSD unit. I haven't finished the interior, but it will have Recaro Speed front seats that I scored off of Craigs list, and the rear seats will probably be gokart seats covered to look like the Recaro's.

In the last couple of months I've finished the rear crossmember, and I have my 3" exhaust finished up through the rear crossmmber.

The pics I have are a couple of years old, but I'll post some newer ones in the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking,

Cam.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow .. ill be the first to say nice Dime!! The Z23 looks right at home in there... Cant wait to see some updated pics .. A 12 year resto ... talk about satisfaction once you get it back on the road huh? bet you cant wait.

Thanks! Twelve years without my 510 sucks, but, family, work, and other priorities took up a lot of that time. Now my kids are older and a lot of my other projects are finished, up so I've been spending some time on the 510.

looks like fun, got any idea of how much power it should have?

A stock Z18ET makes about 165 hp at the flywheel. The 2.3l bottom end should add quite a bit of torque, but if you start to crank up the boost the stock fuel system will be maxed out by 10 psi. After I get the car sorted out I'll start to play with the fuel system and the distributer curve to try to make some more hp. I have a GReady additional injector controller to help supply more fuel when the boost comes on. I'll probably try some different injectors or a rising rate fuel pressure regulator if I'm to happy with the AIC. I'm hoping for about 200 hp at the wheels, but I've read articles about other Z18ET powered cars in Australia making around 300 hp at the wheels, we"ll see.

Cam

Great dime! Welcome! Nice to see a TURBO-Z under the hood. Makes it extra neat to me. I see a ton of SR, KA, VG swaps, not many Z's! And I had no idea those engines were making that much power! Killer! And kudos on the clean install! Sweet!

Great dime! Welcome! Nice to see a TURBO-Z under the hood. Makes it extra neat to me. I see a ton of SR, KA, VG swaps, not many Z's! And I had no idea those engines were making that much power! Killer! And kudos on the clean install! Sweet!

Thanks. I made a mistake in quoting the stock hp as 165 is was actually 135hp.