Fram Oil Filters = Fail

I won't argue that Fram filters are junk...but one thing people forget is that the oil you use has just as big or greater impact...if you are running Penzoil or an oil of similar quality, you could run a Wix or Hastings filter and your engine will still die an early death :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't argue that Fram filters are junk...but one thing people forget is that the oil you use has just as big or greater impact...if you are running Penzoil or an oil of similar quality, you could run a Wix or Hastings filter and your engine will still die an early death :)

Dunno bout that, I don't run penz, but I'll run just about any oil and change it frequently, usually run castrol or halvoline, but I'll run autozone house brand for that matter, it always comes out clean. I think if yer running non-synth, it's all good if you stay on top of it. K&N filters are the shiz, I'd go 2 changes on one and not think twice.

Dunno bout that, I don't run penz, but I'll run just about any oil and change it frequently, usually run castrol or halvoline, but I'll run autozone house brand for that matter, it always comes out clean. I think if yer running non-synth, it's all good if you stay on top of it. K&N filters are the shiz, I'd go 2 changes on one and not think twice.

just two months ago at my shop, we replaced an engine in a Toyota Corrola at the 40k mile mark. They had religiously changed their oil every 3k miles or less...with Penzoil...by 40k the oil passages were clogged, and the motor starved from oil and developed catastrophic damage. If that was the only motor I have seen go down to Penzoil I might be less skeptical of it, but when I started working on cars about 10 years ago, I got my start working at Jiffy Lube, so I saw first hand what it can do...cars with 20k miles on them developing lifter clatter, ect... good times!

I guess my point was, that even though Fram filters aren't a very good design, nor do they have a very good quality or large amount of filtering material, there is more to maintenance than a good filter...I have seen lots of people run cheap filters with good oil who have had no issues for 200k+ miles...however, I have seen more engines go down than I can count that had quality filters on them, but low quality oil.

just two months ago at my shop, we replaced an engine in a Toyota Corrola at the 40k mile mark. They had religiously changed their oil every 3k miles or less...with Penzoil...by 40k the oil passages were clogged, and the motor starved from oil and developed catastrophic damage. If that was the only motor I have seen go down to Penzoil I might be less skeptical of it, but when I started working on cars about 10 years ago, I got my start working at Jiffy Lube, so I saw first hand what it can do...cars with 20k miles on them developing lifter clatter, ect... good times!

I guess my point was, that even though Fram filters aren't a very good design, nor do they have a very good quality or large amount of filtering material, there is more to maintenance than a good filter...I have seen lots of people run cheap filters with good oil who have had no issues for 200k+ miles...however, I have seen more engines go down than I can count that had quality filters on them, but low quality oil.

Huh, guess there aint any liquid ball bearings in that stuff at all! Arnold Palmer lies! Guess I been lucky staying away from that spendy shizz instinctively!