A longshaft Dogleg 5speed

Pulled this tranny out of a 79 620 parts truck I bought in Port Orchard. The Lady I bought it from told me her dad put it in for better gas mileage & told me it was a weird shift pattern. I assumed it was a short shaft dogleg. Well then I pulled it out & realized it was a longshaft tranny & assumed it was a normal shifting 5 speed prolly out of a truck. Well I just put it in my 620 & when I put it in reverse to back out it started creeping forward! :huh: Low & behold it is a LONGshaft DOGLEG 5 speed. Anyone heard of 1? What the hell is it out of? :blink:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled this tranny out of a 79 620 parts truck I bought in Port Orchard. The Lady I bought it from told me her dad put it in for better gas mileage & told me it was a weird shift pattern. I assumed it was a short shaft dogleg. Well then I pulled it out & realized it was a longshaft tranny & assumed it was a normal shifting 5 speed prolly out of a truck. Well I just put it in my 620 & when I put it in reverse to back out it started creeping forward! :huh: Low & behold it is a LONGshaft DOGLEG 5 speed. Anyone heard of 1? What the hell is it out of? :blink:

Yes, I know of such a tranny. Here is a picture of it:

transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

... and another:

transDogleglongtail63afroman810L-1.jpg

Except for length it's like all FS5W63A doglegs it has the 'B' type shifter, two piece aluminum case sandwiching a steel adapter plate, smooth case and front 'bell'. If you look in the front theby the clutch arm the cover plate wil have 7 mounting bolts instead of the 5 on all other 4 and 5 speed 'B' types. Oh one other thing... the long tail has the speedo drive on the right side the short doglegs have them on the left.

What it is out of... I have no idea. The tranny mount in the above picture suggests a Maxima, probably an early 810. I have no record of it's use in any Nissan... yet here it is.

Please post a photo of it and any info about it.

I would bet someone had a good short tail 5 speed, and swapped the tailshaft housing of the 79 620 original tranny onto it, to make it fit. Pretty sure that can be done.

Matt you would have to swap the longer mainshaft with the drive shaft spline on the end into it as well as the longer tail stock. Theoretically possible to do but has to be a long 5 speed tail..

If you were thinking 620 tail onto dogleg tranny, it won't bolt up.:D

Ah hah, I stand corrected. For some reason I thought you could interchange those. Does seem like an odd transmission though. Can't figure what they would have used them in, but it would have been late 70s.