Mallory Ignition

patd

Has anyone put one of these on there 521 Trucks? I want to upgrade to a Electronic Ignition. Also my truck has a vacuum advance distributor on it, can I go with the Mallory that does not have one? :unsure:

http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-4758901-Breakerless-Electronic-Distributor/dp/B000FVXP6K/ref=au_pf_ss_3?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=001

http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-4558901-Breakerless-Electronic-Distributor/dp/B000FVW3FE/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=001

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look under 79 200sx

best to wait for Matchbox to come on line for sale 50-100 used.make sure it comes with the pedastal as you have a L16 and they use a different type.

use a 79 200sx coil(or mallory MSD Blaster 2 and remove the ballast resisitor.

I seen ads for Unilite conversions.

But I think the Pertronix(single point and the Match box is the simplest and best all around upgrade.

Not familiar with the Datsun version of a Unilite, but on other cars, the "eye" has a tendency to burn out at the most inopportune times..The suggestion there has always been to carry some points in the glove box, or carry a spare trigger for it. In other words, whats the point?

I'd take the Datsun version of the EI distributor over that set up any day. I have the original EI in my 720 with 175,000 miles, and it still seems to work great. I seriously doubt ANY Mallory Unilite unit will last that long and be that tough.

Common mistake in the Unilites is people remove the ballast resisitor and it burns up the module.

Pertronix needs a stock coil and ballast otherwise those can burn up also.Keep under 4 amps.

in the "HOW TO" section is verious methods to convert to electronic igntion. look it up.

read carefully

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory-unilite-and-e-spark-testing-spg-150.html

imports/nissan

http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/ConversionKitsM.pdf

look under 79 200sx

best to wait for Matchbox to come on line for sale 50-100 used.make sure it comes with the pedastal as you have a L16 and they use a different type.

use a 79 200sx coil(or mallory MSD Blaster 2 and remove the ballast resisitor.

I seen ads for Unilite conversions.

But I think the Pertronix(single point and the Match box is the simplest and best all around upgrade.

I found the distributor on Rockauto under the 79 200sx as you said for 118 bucks ""A-1 CARDONE Part # 31610"" What distributor cap should I get? and one last question, What is the pedestal? Where on the distributor is it? can I order it from Rockauto? Sorry for the elementary questions but I want to get everything I need at one go. :)

the pedastal is what goes on the front cover.Right under the dizzy.

Bes t get a matchbox from soemone on here and there have been a few on here since you had your truck.

If you order from rockautoyoull just get the basic dizzy. and just to let you know there where 2 Matchboxes and both those had 2 diff types of pedastals so you might not know for witch its for as the timming plate might not line up to get the timming right.

the cap? you order for a 79 200sx. its bigger than a L16 cap. matter of fact all L20s motors use the bigger cap.

I always use the 79 200sx as a reference. cap/ rotors

read up on Jason Greys article on eleltric ignitions on olddatsuns.com or else where

the pedastal is what goes on the front cover.Right under the dizzy.

Bes t get a matchbox from soemone on here and there have been a few on here since you had your truck.

If you order from rockautoyoull just get the basic dizzy. and just to let you know there where 2 Matchboxes and both those had 2 diff types of pedastals so you might not know for witch its for as the timming plate might not line up to get the timming right.

the cap? you order for a 79 200sx. its bigger than a L16 cap. matter of fact all L20s motors use the bigger cap.

I always use the 79 200sx as a reference. cap/ rotors

read up on Jason Greys article on eleltric ignitions on olddatsuns.com or else where

Thanks for the info.!! I think that I will wait until one comes up for sale here like you said. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: