L18 Fit directly on A15 motor mounts without any mods?

I got an L18 with a Suck Threw Turbo Setup, And I wanna Know if it will bolt Directly on my A15 motor mounts. it still has the A15 on it.

What should I go with, A 12A Rotary or

With the L18 with the Suck Threw Turbo Setup?

I got both engines in my garage waiting to go into something.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is a direct bolt in. At least not for a 1200. Datsun1200.com should have just about everything you need to learn! Gotta love that place!

L-engine swaps

I like the sound of this suck through turbo set-up! Is it one of the vintage setups? Pics!

Not really, the 510 never had a 5 speed option, so someone put one in from something. There are 4 I can think of but the easiest is likely a dogleg from a 200sx. Measure the length... if 26" then it's almost for sure an FS5W63A dogleg. They look like this:

transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510three.jpg

It has a smooth aluminum case front and back sandwiching a steel adapter plate in the middle. Note the shifter type under the boot looks like this.

Alternately, it could be a longer FS5W71B at 31.5". Looks somewhat like the dogleg but has ribbing in the case and bell housing.

79KC5spd.jpg

The FS5W63A is somewhat rare having come only in the '77-'79 200sx and as an optional 5 speed in the A10.

The L series FS5W71B is stronger and much more common having been introduced in '77 and used on the 620, 810/Maxima through '84 and the 280z and zx (non turbo) through '83 and the 1980 720.

If you have trouble rebuilding ($) or finding another dogleg you might consider an FS5W71B. You will need to shorten the driveshaft about 5" and mod the rear mount but it might be cheaper.

I worked on a L-series 510 A10 goon today and the motor mounts look identical! Some measureing and checking would prolly pay off as far as the motormounts are concerned! I could have the guy do some measureing and take some pics if your interested! Gave him some free parts today so he owes me one :D

The threads here in the past about L motors in B-210 all have said the cross member gets changed to a

510 (some say PL510, Some say HL510) this is a bolt in according to the threads....

also came from the factory that way in japan for top line model....

so, a dog leg 5 speed and an L-20 should be a bolt in with the right combination of factory parts.

maybe some if this info got lost in the format switch...