Another 5-speed-in-a-521 thread

carsoundguy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, yeah I guess I should have been more specific about the truck. it's got an L16 and like I said I've done reading and I know I need to fab up or at least modify my stock tranny mount and relocate my shifter hole, but those are pretty basic. But regardless, thank you, now I don't have to spend $$ to have my d-shaft shortened

As I understand it that only the short bed earlier versions of only the 73/74's front part of the drive shaft will swap over to make it work...

correct me if I wrong here Doug...either that or a 520 one piece would work for the dogleg swap...but you have a z trans, won't work for you...

Measure the front half of your stock drive line(521). The newer driveline you will need to use should be about 4 inches shorter. I also have done the tranny swap on my 521. The driveline I am using came out of a 1976 kingcab shortbed 620 if I remember correctly. Also make sure you also take the carrier bearing from the donor 620. Thats what I used , hope it helps.....

Well, being that a 240Z 5-speed is pretty rare (being that it wasn't a factory option, only a dealer option) I'd suspect the tranny to be more a 280Z tranny that had been in a 240Z at one point. I recall the 240Z dealer option 5-speed (which was a roadster 5-speed with an L-series bellhousing) was a 71 series transmission anyway, the longtail type.

So... the driveshaft section needed would be the front half of a '74-79 620. In my experience, the body style doesn't matter as the longer KC/Longbed shaft is the rear shaft, not the front shaft. Transmission type (4, 5 or AT) doesn't matter for the 74+ 620 as they were all the same length.

If it were a dogleg (shorttail transmission) then a front section on a '72-73 620 would be needed.

I did this swap on my 71 521..check out my thread it has alot of pics....

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=523

Trans. is from a 82 ZX.. i used the stock driveshaft & shortened it myself 4 inches. Make sure you use the TRUCK throw out bearing & the TRUCK slave cylinder. The Z slave WILL hit the torsion bar & the hose will kink. All the info is in the thread........:D