Datsun 1972 taillights

paradoxx

Hey I just found an awkward situation. Today I got the stuff of the auction from SRSANDS and I went to the shop where my car is being worked to fit the tailights, the result is:

They dont fit!!

the car has the space for the light but with only 3 screw holes, I mean if you cut the reverse light they fit just fine :lol: have you ever seen this before?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that your car is an early 1969 model that has 1968 taillights?

From http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/spreadbury.guide.html:

"The 1968 cars have a taillight that is unique to this year. The taillights are made from the standard red plastic, with a clear section for the reverse lights. When looking at the 1968 taillight it is possible to see the round reflector for each section. Very early Canadian cars came with "Euro Lenses" that had an amber turnsignal section. The taillight is surrounded by a chrome plated frame."

Also, here is an auction for an early taillight panel and it looks like it has 6 bolt holes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-1968-JDM-TAIL-LIGHT-PANEL_W0QQitemZ390140430955QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100108?IMSfp=TL100108223001r13659

1968Datsun510TaillightPanel.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at pics of your yellow car: it is definately a 1969.......and the 72 tailights are the same as 69 tailights

Your red SSS 510 looks like it has a 72 dash, but it has 68-69 front side marker lights....

It is possible that your red car has 68 tailights... but I couldn't find a pic of them... do they look like this:

25510.jpg

^^^This pic is tagged as a SSS 510^^^ The 68 tailights are smaller,,, and a lot rarer

• Like 1

yeah its like that one, but as I bought the car without tail light thats why I was sure they were just the same as my yellow one......poor car, he has no idea which year is he.... thank you guys once again.....I will make them fit into with some metal work.

yeah its like that one, but as I bought the car without tail light thats why I was sure they were just the same as my yellow one......poor car, he has no idea which year is he.... thank you guys once again.....I will make them fit into with some metal work.

Paradoxx, if my memory serves me, Central and South America got the "world" versions of the 510 which are a bit different in trim and such than the North American Spec which are are mostly used to up here. PM Byron510 about this as he as a car now that was bound for Guatemala, he might be able to help you out with some information there. Mexico also got a different version with different tail lights pm mcshagger about those as he has a set mounted .... Sorry I can't help you out with anything definitive though ....

• Like 2