Universal Joint replacement

fo0manchu

Welp, I broke my universal joint. The one that connects the driveshaft to the diff on my wagon. I haven't pulled it off yet to take a look, but is this something i need to take to a machine shop to have changed? Or can I replace it with something as simple as my bench vise? I know my BMW ones have some funky crimps on them so I have to get those replaced at a machine or driveline shop. Autozone has a u joint for the 510 for $10 and its a duralast brand.

Do the wagon and sedan use the same joints?

Also, are some brands better than others? These were replaced when I got my driveshaft shortened about 2 years ago. Perhaps some dirt and grime just went up in it. Either that or KA power was just too much and perhaps KA-T power is too much as well. :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Autozone has a u joint for the 510 for $10 and its a duralast brand.

Do the wagon and sedan use the same joints?

Also, are some brands better than others?

i dont like the duralast Ujoints... both failed in 3 mos on my 4runner.

spend a few pennies on quality!

same # for sedans & goons.

i dont like the duralast Ujoints... both failed in 3 mos on my 4runner.

spend a few pennies on quality!

same # for sedans & goons.

3 months huh? that sucks.

Well, here are the ones that I could find. Autozone = Duralast, Pepboys = Neapco, another auto store = Precision brand.

all pretty close to the same price. What do you think?

I would say $15-$20 for a good one. Try to get the ones that come with the grease nipple.

As for using cheap ones.... just figure out how much bother it is to remove the drive shaft and do this by how often this needs doing. If the cheap ones fail catastrophically they could take out the whole drive shaft. Plus leave you stranded.

Are the sedan and goon U joints the same?... Well the pt. #s are close but I would say no.

Are the sedan and goon U joints the same?... Well the pt. #s are close but I would say no.

This one was 18 bucks. They had 2 pt#'s on their computer. One for the halfshafts and one for the driveshaft. We'll see if it works in my goon. I will find out in a bit when I pull the broken one.

So sedan and goon ones are the same. Would have taken some pictures, but the camera ran out of batteries. I had to return the other because it was the wrong part. It was for the halfshaft and not driveshaft. Anyways, seams like a lot of these parts are made by neapco and just re-branded depending on where they are sold. Some of them are made in the U.S and some made in china.

Mine's a made in china one :( but it looks to be pretty solid. Casting looks clean and it looks well built. (as well as a u joint can be built i guess) Everything turns smoothly. Looks better than the halfshaft joint made in the U.S that I returned. Even though they are distributed by the same company.

I think i know why mine failed. The grease nipple was sheared off, so I'm guessing after awhile it lost most its lubrication. All the needle bearings on one side were all gone and half were gone on another side. I shall try this one out. Hopefully it last more than 3 months. :)