decisions, decisions, decisions...

hello all. my name is joe and i have recently purchased a 1980 210 hatchback dlx and i must say, after owning a VW GTI MKV, a 1981 STERLING 827 SI, and a pair of BUICK SKYLARKS, i have never driven something with as much personality and character as my new little old datsun.

The problem however is...

when i purchased the vehicle, 130k original miles, a14 motor, 5 spd, frsh paint and enkei wheels,.. i was told it had a clean title and was well taken care of by its previous owner. some rust underneath the front end of the car was taken care of, full tune ups every 3-5000 miles.. everything was good to go.

i went to the dmv to register the vehicle and get my name on the title, i was shocked when i was told the car has a JUNK title.. (according to the dmv, JUNK is the equivelent of SALVAGE). and that it would be over 380 just to title the vehicle, not including registration. WTF?!! I immeadiately contacted the previous owner and he had informed me that he had no idea of why that would be on the vehicle.

long story short, i am now in a bit of a dilemma..

i love the car. like a child. from the moment i seen it, i knew i had to have it. without any previous experience with datsuns, i figured: RWD, 5 spd, less than 2500lbs, low miles, i seen potential. But then i was told by a local datsun specific tuning shop that there is not a whole lot i could do to the stock motor and still be able to smog it, let alone a motorswap and being able to smog it. (dont know if thats true or not). and then the fact that it has this JUNK title, how much depreciation in value would i see? sentimental value is one thing, but if i need to sell it in the future, what then?

what to do?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early smog requirements are more lenient than the newer stuff. Therefore if you get a newer swap and keep the smog stuff on the swapped engine, you should be golden!

If ya paid too much for the car to make it worth another $300, then take the guy to court. You would have had to spent alot of money to make it not worth another $300. Strip the car and buy one that is in bad condition and swap the good stuff over!

I know that I LOVE my 79. The 4-link rear suspension and light weight make it one Fun Azz car to drive! Love it so much I got a Goon! Best of luck to you, and your right about personality and character!

And as for the future, if you do a half ass good job of it,(building the car) you will have people asking about it all the time! I cant even put gas in the Pumpkn without someone asking about it.

No Pictures? WTF?

With a KA swap, you could pass the 2004 emission standards! Piece of cake in a 1980 vehicle. Or do an SR20 swap. Or a budget L20B swap. All will pass emissions if you keep them stock.

JUNK title means SALVAGE title. Same thing. It is used for cars that are totaled/wrecked -- and for cars that are not but are otherwise sent to the wreckers, perhaps in good shape as in a towing yard auction.

long story short, i am now in a bit of a dilemma..

what to do?

hello joe!

dont sweat the salvage/junk title. rather meaningless...

my wagon has it. i know why, it cost more to repair than the ins was willing to pay.

whatever you put in there has to meet the smog requirements for that motor...

• 4 weeks later...

If you're gonna love that car and it's gonna be YOURS, then the salvage title is meaningless. It's not like it's a Porsche or anything.. how much do you expect to re-sell it for, anyhow? If you only bought it for $300.. I wouldn't worry too much about the value depreciating.

Car Value Generalities (if no dents or body work needed)

Runs Good $800

Passes Emissions $1000.00

Air Conditioning Works $1200 to $1500

Good gas mileage makes increases resale potential/market.

So $300 + $380=$680.00 sounds to me like your ahead of the game no matter what.