what is this tube for off the intake manifold

521newbie

I got my manifold today from just_joel. Everything looks good but I don't know what's supposed to be connected to the fitting in the middle of the picture.

You can see my old manifold on the left of the picture and I knew that larger fitting went to the air pump but not sure about this new one. I'm trying to dump the air pump set up and go non-smog. Thanks for looking.

MonJan11201919PST2010.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is your positive crank ventilation tube. Hook that up to the tube coming out of the side of your block. The skinny one pointing to the right looks to be the diameter of a power brake booster line. If you don't have one (assuming not since its a 521 nickname) Just put a rubber nipple on there and block it off or pull the fitting out and put a bolt in there to cap it off. Good to go.

Tube for the booster would go the the plugged hole at the top of the pic,(in the 3-4 runner)

Big fitting facing to the rear is the PCV Valve goes to the tube on the side of the block as was mentioned.

the small fitting is a vacume port, it may go to the evap. for the fuel tank, or to the vacume motor on the aircleaner for the preheat stove.

That fitting looks like a plumbing fitting, the stock part is a 90, and sometimes has 2 tubes.

• Like 1

Tube for the booster would go the the plugged hole at the top of the pic,(in the 3-4 runner)

Big fitting facing to the rear is the PCV Valve goes to the tube on the side of the block as was mentioned.

the small fitting is a vacume port, it may go to the evap. for the fuel tank, or to the vacume motor on the aircleaner for the preheat stove.

That fitting looks like a plumbing fitting, the stock part is a 90, and sometimes has 2 tubes.

You're right the brake booster should be on the top, that i knew. Just figured someone used that one for the booster :D

The l-16 engine used an air pump for exhaust emission control on the later models. There was an anti-backfire or "gulp" valve used on these engines. It was controlled by vacuum, by a small fitting off the intake manifold, by number 3 and 4 cylinders, and dumped a shot of air into the intake manifold under the carburettor, when the throttle was closed at a high RPM.

On the manifold in the picture, the fittings were switched.

that is your positive crank ventilation tube. Hook that up to the tube coming out of the side of your block. The skinny one pointing to the right looks to be the diameter of a power brake booster line. If you don't have one (assuming not since its a 521 nickname) Just put a rubber nipple on there and block it off or pull the fitting out and put a bolt in there to cap it off. Good to go.

Not the pcv valve. The one 90 degrees to the right with the small tube fitting. There was already a line running to the block so shouldn't be this new one. No power brakes here. As f'd up was when I got it I wouldn't be shocked these lines aren't plumbed right. Anyone got pictures of how it should be non-smog?

if you are running no smog, put a plug in place of the little fitting, PCV will not hurt performance so run that,

with a small filter on the fitting on top of your valve cover, it keeps the inside of the motor cleaner and your engine will last longer.

pull out the PCV valve and clean it with carb cleaner, be sure it works, then run it, it goes to the pipe in the side of the block

if you are running no smog, put a plug in place of the little fitting, PCV will not hurt performance so run that,

with a small filter on the fitting on top of your valve cover, it keeps the inside of the motor cleaner and your engine will last longer.

pull out the PCV valve and clean it with carb cleaner, be sure it works, then run it, it goes to the pipe in the side of the block

Thanks for clearing that up. The pcv out of my old manifold is a month old but I'll clean it. I was trying to track down a backfire issue so I replaced it to be sure. I'll get a breather and run that too. Thanks again.

Just shake the PCV valve. If it rattles, is is probably clean.

The fitting with the small tube actually goes into the top of the manifold by the 3-4 intake runner. The large fitting that is currently there should go into the manifold, pointed to or away from the engine. the PCV valve goes into the hlos that points it back to the firewall when the engine is installed. All this applies if you are running the air pump. If not running the air pump, plug them both. But keep the PCV valve. It really does good things.

Just shake the PCV valve. If it rattles, is is probably clean.

The fitting with the small tube actually goes into the top of the manifold by the 3-4 intake runner. The large fitting that is currently there should go into the manifold, pointed to or away from the engine. the PCV valve goes into the hlos that points it back to the firewall when the engine is installed. All this applies if you are running the air pump. If not running the air pump, plug them both. But keep the PCV valve. It really does good things.

I will plug them. I'm going no air pump. I'd never ditch the pcv. I've read too many stories where someone removed them and broke their shit.

Hey man, when I bought the car, it came with this old school Marvin Mystery oiler attached to that fitting. It was of course after market and I also assumed the fitting was added on the manifold, replacing a plug. It appeared to draw the oil through vacuum from a reservoir on the other end of the line. Hope this helps.

The large port on the side went to the block breather.

Later

Joel

Hey man, when I bought the car, it came with this old school Marvin Mystery oiler attached to that fitting. It was of course after market and I also assumed the fitting was added on the manifold, replacing a plug. It appeared to draw the oil through vacuum from a reservoir on the other end of the line. Hope this helps.

The large port on the side went to the block breather.

Later

Joel

Thanks Joel. I'm going to block that one off as it has no home. The manifolds are clean and in great shape. I'll be installing them tonight.