starving for fuel

Ok so i putt an l20 in my 510. now when the rpm's rise above 3000 in third gear the car sputters and dose not want to go any hire than 3000 and gets worse in 4th and 5th. i noticed that the fuel filter(stock style) is only 1/4th full. so i switched the fuel pump from the l16 i had in the car before (ran fine with the su's on the l16) and it still is doing the same thing.So i thought ok maybe it's the needls in the su's so i raised them and it is still doing the same thing. so i re timed it and re tuned the carb's .same thing! i dont know what to do next except maybe try a new fuel pump and if i do that should i just buy an electric pump? if so what pressure should i run the regulater at. any ideas what els it could be?

p.s. i am running a stock l20 b w58 head el dizzy(@12degrees) desmoged flat top su's and 2" exhaust

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, pumps can push much easier than pull as they are limited be atmospheric air pressure. Any resistance on the 'suck' side is to be avoided. Are any of the flexible lines kinked? Replace the in line filter and cut the old one open and inspect the contents. Does the hard line have any kinks or is it pinched anywhere along it's length? Is the tank vented? Is there another in line filter at the tank that could be clogged? The sock on the end could be plugged but, rarely as the tank has to be full of crap.

well i dont see any kink's i tried another pump (of the tuesday night project car) and a different coil and nothing. I blew air through the line that comes from the tank it did not do any better. i am going to order some gaskets from z therapy so i can take the top's of my float bowl's off and see if there is any thing in there. i might try checking the black box on my dizzy tonight maybe i will get lucky. I am stabbing in the dark on this one. any ideas. it sucks having to drive to work like this my dime is my daily driver :mad:

so hear is where it all went wrong

ok so i ran a round port head with a square port manifold. The combination was causing restriction the resrtiction caused back pressure once the rpm built up and was chocking out the engine. So i took the head from the tuesday night project car (u67) and did a head swap (thanks kiznook) now it seems to work great so far. Now i just need a set of 2liter needles for my su's. I moved the needles up as far as they would go and i am running them rich it seams to work but idols rich so i am going to get the 2 liter needles from z therapy.

thanks for your help guys

mike:D

yeah, you owe me sweet sweet lovin!!

that and a u67 head, and a couple quarts of Redline MTL...and a manifold gasket. But who's counting? :cool:

good to hear that it's back amongst the living. now we just gotta get that exhaust welded up. EVEN THOUGH it does sound cool like an underwater harley :D

wow I have had never heard of that!!! I know this topic is all done with but I have had a few head/exhaust combos exactly the same and never had a problem.

That is just weird, I would have never figured that out. Good Job!

Agreed. Dislexic: do you have oil in the dash pots or dampers on your SUs? If one or the other are low or out of oil the vacuum pulses would, (or can) cause the slides to flutter. No oil will allow them to rise too quickly and cause a lean condition.

If you reach in with your finger an lift the slide or piston there should be a moderate resistance. When released the slides should seat quickly with a click if working right.

Agreed. Dislexic: do you have oil in the dash pots or dampers on your SUs? If one or the other are low or out of oil the vacuum pulses would, (or can) cause the slides to flutter. No oil will allow them to rise too quickly and cause a lean condition.

If you reach in with your finger an lift the slide or piston there should be a moderate resistance. When released the slides should seat quickly with a click if working right.

i already did all that:D the carb's are full of oil and working

:) they are just rich on idol