Steering Wheel

patd

Hi everyone, I am looking for a replacement stock steering wheel for my truck, The sun did a number on mine. the back of it is brittle, and just cleaning it make it crack and pieces of it are breaking off. If any one has one they want to sell just let me know. I received my brake parts and am in the process of changing them. The wheel cylinders are frozen and I have been changing them one at a time. The brake adjusters are frozen as well. what a pain getting them off..!! Once I get the brakes finished I will replace the clutch parts and she will be ready for her first drive..!! Cant wait. I put some Marvel mystery oil in the gas to clean out the fuel system, She still smokes when I gas it. I hope the it is the additive that is making her smoke and it will clear up once I put fresh gas in her and give her a good drive down the road.:)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put some anti seize on those adjuster threads once you loosen them. I had a '71 and you have to adjust them regularly for best braking. Heat and dirty water gum them up.

datzenmike is 100% correct , this has been my experience on American Trucks ! I like to use High Temperature Disc Brake Grease on the inside of the adjusting Star Wheel for the Rear Brakes ( if you have the smooth surface 2 piece adjuster , if not datzenmike probably has best details on what to cdo with datsun trucks. Also , if she still smokes , Go to sears , get a compression check gauge kit. Probably best to dump fuel after , and change fuel filters ? If it has been sitting for a while make sur PVC valve is free ( or it can pop a seal out )

(1) Pull out spark plugs , label/inspect , and insert compression gauge tester , crank over a few times , record highest reading ( with ignition disconnected ) only if you still have trouble with the smoke ( I assume blue ? )

(2) Replace all brake hardware , if you can afford it ! ( I usually re-use most of the time ,but keep old hardware since sometimes much better quality than new aftermarket stuff , and springs break at random )

(3) Since your rear wheel cylinders are bad/leaky , you are likley needing to bleed the system o get rid of any moisture creeping into system ( just to be safe , gravity drip by pumping pedal to build pressure then leave it alone when bleeding , go to rear passenger side open up bleeder until all air/firty fluid comes out clear while adding to brake master cylinder ( do not let get more than a 1/4 level down at most when doing this , then move to rear drivers , then move to front passenger , then move to front drivers until all fluid clear ! Bleed out your clutch too the same way at the slave cylinder ( just good practice. )

(4) Marvel Mystery is excellent stuff ! They use to sell inline kits back then that would slowly suck it into the fuel system a bit at a time ( I have heard testimony too many times from people that used these kits saying 90,000 miles on American V-8 chevy's/pontiacs with no ring ridge ! AMAZING IF TRUE ! ) I use the stuff in my 73' 240z all the time since I have owned it ! )

(5) Lube brakes at their contact points as indicated by Haynes ( I have worked with other mechanics that are too lazy to lube , squeaky brakes , and un-even wear no thankyou ! )

Just Curious what the color of the smoke is ? ( Blue/Black/Greyish/White ) Looking Good keep us posted !

datzenmike is 100% correct , this has been my experience on American Trucks ! I like to use High Temperature Disc Brake Grease on the inside of the adjusting Star Wheel for the Rear Brakes ( if you have the smooth surface 2 piece adjuster , if not datzenmike probably has best details on what to cdo with datsun trucks. Also , if she still smokes , Go to sears , get a compression check gauge kit. Probably best to dump fuel after , and change fuel filters ? If it has been sitting for a while make sur PVC valve is free ( or it can pop a seal out )

(1) Pull out spark plugs , label/inspect , and insert compression gauge tester , crank over a few times , record highest reading ( with ignition disconnected ) only if you still have trouble with the smoke ( I assume blue ? )

(2) Replace all brake hardware , if you can afford it ! ( I usually re-use most of the time ,but keep old hardware since sometimes much better quality than new aftermarket stuff , and springs break at random )

(3) Since your rear wheel cylinders are bad/leaky , you are likley needing to bleed the system o get rid of any moisture creeping into system ( just to be safe , gravity drip by pumping pedal to build pressure then leave it alone when bleeding , go to rear passenger side open up bleeder until all air/firty fluid comes out clear while adding to brake master cylinder ( do not let get more than a 1/4 level down at most when doing this , then move to rear drivers , then move to front passenger , then move to front drivers until all fluid clear ! Bleed out your clutch too the same way at the slave cylinder ( just good practice. )

(4) Marvel Mystery is excellent stuff ! They use to sell inline kits back then that would slowly suck it into the fuel system a bit at a time ( I have heard testimony too many times from people that used these kits saying 90,000 miles on American V-8 chevy's/pontiacs with no ring ridge ! AMAZING IF TRUE ! ) I use the stuff in my 73' 240z all the time since I have owned it ! )

(5) Lube brakes at their contact points as indicated by Haynes ( I have worked with other mechanics that are too lazy to lube , squeaky brakes , and un-even wear no thankyou ! )

Just Curious what the color of the smoke is ? ( Blue/Black/Greyish/White ) Looking Good keep us posted !

Yeah the smoke that is coming out is blue, Mostly on start up with the chock out, Then after she warms up not so bad, She has been sitting for almost 16 years, I have not taken her out for a drive yet, I think she needs a good long drive to clean her out. I was going to finish the brakes today but decided to lay on the couch and watch the football games..!

If you have access to a lathe, its not that difficult to cut an adapter out of the stock steering wheel.

Step 1: Notice that there are three holes that need to be drilled and tapped:

DSC01349.jpg

Step 2: No pics. Cut a disk out of 1/4" aluminum and drill/taper to mount to hub. Also drill/tap to match steering wheel bolt pattern

Step 3:

DSC01352.jpg

Step 4:

DSC01353.jpg

Result is a small wheel that's set further away from you. This method need to be massaged if you need a horn button.

-B

Datsun/Nissan used to sell em. Maybe you can find a dealer who has one laying around? That's how my dad ended up with this one on my truck. Here's the one on my 620. Probably the same for a 521. Couldn't be that hard to machine, but someone will have to broach the spline for you once machined. Mind you, this one is made for this particular wheel.

The pegs on the back are for the canceling turnsignals. Dont remember if my dads 521 had canceling signals or not. This one's been on my 620 since the mid 80's though.

Paul

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

If you have access to a lathe, its not that difficult to cut an adapter out of the stock steering wheel.

Step 3:

DSC01352.jpg

-B

That's an interesting idea. All you would have to do to add the horn part is make a hollow diskand srew that to that adapter you made.

Paul