Gasket Sealer

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never used it but I don't really see the point in it at that price. Since it's about the same price as a head gasket set, I would just pull the head, put a new gasket on and have no worries every time I get in my car. It's not a very hard job to do a head gasket on these datsun motors.

A blown head gasket is what brought me to this board..I too wanted to "try" the quick fix, but was luckily convinced by others here that it was worth it to fix it right, and actually wasn't that hard to fix.

You know what? They were right. IF you actually need a head gasket, do it right. It is NOT that hard, and as others have stated, the cost can actually be LESS than the quick fix you are looking at. The absolute KEY with this job is attention to detail.

I will say that I used Bars Leaks for YEARS and tens of thousands of miles before my gasket finally decided to pee like a race horse, so products like that do have their place and can work. I still carry some with me just in case. As a matter of fact, I poured a whole bottle in when my gasket crapped out and it slowed it down enough to get me home. That being said, I was ready to drop some coin on the liquid glass based fixers until I found out that if your head gasket is blown and leaking coolant into the oil, you could actually seize the oiling system because the stuff hardens up so much. I then decided that it was worth it to try to fix it right since I really had nothing to lose.

First thing you should do is follow the advice here and in the other thread to determine if you actually NEED a head gasket.

These "liquid solutions" are garbage. If you have a problem, fix it the right way. Anything you pour into your radiator is going to find all the leaks and weakspots including your waterpump, radiator intake etc. It will not fix a problem, just delay it for a while and the more crap you pour into your radiator the more likely you will have a clogging or coolant issue down the road. I've heard of these products causing thermostat malfunctions. There is no such thing as liquid engineering, no fluids that give you 20hp or blah blah...Its all junk.