Suspension Techniques Rear Sway Bar Hardware

Hey, found a brand spankin' new ST Rear Sway for my 510.. the only catch is, it hasn't got the hardware kit with it. I called up ST and apparently, the cost of the hardware kit is $20 below the cost of the whole setup! What a racket!

Anyhow, what my question is, is does anyone here have one of these on their dime? And if so, how tough would it be to fab up my own hardware to mount it? I can't imagine that it'd be too big of a task, but it'd be alot easier if someone already had experience with them. .. on that note, are they good sway bars? Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you run a swaybar on your 510? I've heard people say, "Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of an IRS?" .. but if it's not that great for IRS, then why does having one up front improve handling so well? It's the same thing, only in front. All I can see is that it would stiffen up the suspension more.. anybody have anything to add to this?

'cept it aint FWD!

LSD and proper suspension tuning limit the need for one. :D

i dont run one and have a HUGE front bar.

Care to unpack that statement? I'm still not sure that I'm understanding the "why" of it all. I would think that with more weight in back, you'd want stiffer suspension, as opposed to a FWD. Any literature on this subject anywhere? Or are there any threads about it? Thanks

there is a bunch on the realm about why they are not essential, since im only referring to a 510.

only saying that the logic is flawed, considering the F & R as identical.

w/ the suspension properly set up, the need for additional R control is diminished, not gone.

im not saying dont do it! just sayin that the suspension effort could be better placed.

it really depends on how you plan on driving it!

i have now maxed out my knowledge on the subject :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
Do you run a swaybar on your 510? I've heard people say, "Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of an IRS?" .. but if it's not that great for IRS, then why does having one up front improve handling so well? It's the same thing, only in front. All I can see is that it would stiffen up the suspension more.. anybody have anything to add to this?

I'll take a shot at this...the sway bar acts like a spring, not like an axle since both wheels can still move independently because of the bushings. The sway bar changes the way the body rolls into corners and helps keep camber in check. This is why a front sway bar alone can make a big different in the amount of push (understeer) you feel in a corner

Thanks for feekwonder for posting the pic of the swaybar install too. I was in the process of installing mine and was having a brain fart as to how the plates mounted onto the crossmember. I'm not sure how much of a difference I'll see with the new bar, but having the additional adjustability is nice :)

If you have varying degrees of oversteer, adding a sway bar, or increasing the diameter/stiffness of a sway bar will reduce it. Carried to an extreme, too much sway bar stiffness can eliminate oversteer and begin to increase understeer. Likewise, if you have a front sway bar, reducing the diameter/stiffness or removing it will decrease oversteer also.

Oversteer can also be reduced by lowering the rear tire pressure and/or increasing the front.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 7 months later...

if swaybars werent really needed, then modern irs systems (subaru,mitsu,chevy) wouldnt use them, yet they do, so must help at least a lil... hugs lol i cant see that it would hurt, i just ordered an st setup today, i will let ya know how diff it feels, yet i dont have much roll in corners since my spring rate is super stiff